Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
(92 Astro, 94 Astro) 91 Astro, (2002 Astro), 2000 Astro, 2003 Astro
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In my case the discontinued valve looks exactly like the one for the 89 thru 94 K1500.

Looking on this forum i found this diagram for a 2003 astro brake system and i have to say while the location of the valve is totally different and bracket totally different, the valve itself looks suspiciously identical to the one i installed on my 95.

Heres a comparison picture of the diagram and my valve.

There is a gamble element here, but im betting this valve remained unchanged apart from orientation in the engine compartment and updated bracketry to mount it.

Also the price of what looks like an identical proportioning valve in many applications is all over the map. The valve i installed was less than 40 bucks. Were i the OP id pull the offending valve from the 2003 and buy one of the ones he can get his hands on, then compare.

If they look identical then it would be a matter of grinding the new valve off its bracket, doing the same for the original, and probably drilling and tapping for a machine screw to hold it.

Another option is eastwood does sell generic proportioning valves that could be adapted.
Thanks for the photo and diagram ! Yes, we're trying different valves now designed for other Chevy vehicles. Something just has to fit. I'm not ready to junk this nice van because of one silly part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If there were a AstroSafari "Hall of Fame" several of you guys would be in it.

I love the photos in this thread.
Thanks, Ruh-Roh ! Here are some more goofy ones -- the family (1 wife, 3 sons) hates to pose in the front yard, so here we go, along with Snowwhite (2000 Astro), Ms. Millie (1991 Astro), and Wilson (1994 Astro). They only look this bored when there's a group photo in progress.
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

My "Astro reverse tow" technique. My hobby shop is down the hill on a fairly steep grade. A 1971 Beetle project arrived without any brakes whatsoever. So I tied it to the rear of Ms. Millie and backed her down the slope, with one of my sons steering the Beetle. It went very well.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

I've come to the conclusion that whatever you're rebuilding, you need at least one Astro to haul parts around or do the occasional tow with or without trailer.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle

Here's a still life of a project, 1976 Beetle Cabrio (still in progress), Ms. Millie, and Wilson.
Wilson the 1994 Astro ended up with engine failure at about 185,000 miles. Not an excessive amount, but when I bought that van for cheap, it already had 161,000 on the clock with poor maintenance. I replaced the wheels (and my Michelin tires) with four old donut-spares, and limped to the local metal recycler, running on 5 cylinders (the camshaft was worn badly, according to my technician, no way to get the 6th cylinder running properly). The wheels and a rear window glass are still on duty today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks, Mmusicman !
I thought I saw another reply from you with pictures, but can no longer locate it. Maybe I'm using the navigation incorrectly in this forum.
Anyway, I love the looks of your vans. And I'm also quite sure I saw a Honda VTX in the background. It's a topic for a different forum, but I ride a couple of Hondas too, as well as Harleys 20 and 32 years old. Let me know if you're heading north again with the bike and the Astro. I'll treat you to a bbq lunch somewhere here in North Georgia.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for the photo and diagram ! Yes, we're trying different valves now designed for other Chevy vehicles. Something just has to fit. I'm not ready to junk this nice van because of one silly part.
I have a 99 van where their solution to this problem was jettison the valve entirely. I was actually looking to compare valves between my 99 and 95 based on this thread when i discovered that it was completely removed! Explained some brake weirdness on that van.

From what im reading here, since yours is an 03 the function of the valve is pretty much taken over by the ABS unit with the dynamic rear proportioning. Maybe you don't need the valve at all on yours? While this is definitely a problem on my 99, it may not be on a DRP equipped van.

To me that would also bring the diagnosis into question, if proportioning on your van is mostly handled by the ABS unit, maybe a fault there is the issue instead of the valve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a 99 van where their solution to this problem was jettison the valve entirely. I was actually looking to compare valves between my 99 and 95 based on this thread when i discovered that it was completely removed! Explained some brake weirdness on that van.

From what im reading here, since yours is an 03 the function of the valve is pretty much taken over by the ABS unit with the dynamic rear proportioning. Maybe you don't need the valve at all on yours? While this is definitely a problem on my 99, it may not be on a DRP equipped van.

To me that would also bring the diagnosis into question, if proportioning on your van is mostly handled by the ABS unit, maybe a fault there is the issue instead of the valve.
That point came up over here as well. Early on, when the ABS light was lit, I had the ABS module rebuilt by Upfix.com in Buford, Ga. where I took the unit personally. Their place of business and professional attitude left me with a very good impression. The repair came with a diagnostic sheet detailing what was replaced. After reinstalling, the ABS light remained off and the unit threw no trouble codes, so I think we can be reasonably confident that the ABS is working alright. The repair cost less than half of what a new ABS controller would have. Also, it required no reprogramming, which, I understand, would have to be done by a Chevy dealer on a new unit.
Waiting for word from my local technician about how the prop valve is behaving that's labeled for a different model Chevrolet. Thanks for the information, Tinworm !

21 - 26 of 26 Posts