Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2003 Chevrolet Astro RWD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sooo Wednesday, i finally removed the old leaky pump i had been driving on for over a year, and installed a
-(Remanned) CARDONE Pump w New pulley
Amazon.com: Cardone 20-7923 Remanufactured Power Steering Pump with Reservoir (Renewed) : Automotive
Amazon.com: Cardone 3P-25160 New Power Steering Pump Pulley : Automotive

i bought all new Edelman hoses as well but my mobile mechanic, urged me that it wasn't necessary, and just to hold on to them

Pump Removal was fast....he didn't even remove the fan clutch or lift the van which surprised me

Installation was just as fast

there is "No Noise" when i turn on the engine and let it idle neither when i turn the wheel

but as soon as i accelerate on the pedal the pump gets noisy and increases in loudness.....i tested it with the car in neutral and in park and had my girl rev the engine.....

i find it soooo hard to believe a unit directly sent from Cardone is bad right out the box

my mechanic was silent the hold time i was telling him, and he made it seem like that's the chances i take with when buying/using REMMANED Parts, he replaced the pump for cheap ($200), but at this point it was usless

I Quickly Dropped the $102 and bought a NEW UNIT (Lord let this work)
Amazon.com: Cardone 96-7923 New Power Steering Unit : Automotive
i was already moving forward in buying neww parts for othe repairs, now im right back where i started, i understand things can be trial and error tho

Attachments

· Registered
1,551 Posts
It is likely that the replacement is not defective, but rather there is still air in the system.

Jack up the front end, turn the wheels back and forth from lock to lock 10 times (engine off)…. Then do it again with the engine running 10-20 times…. See what you get.

Btw, this info is right on the add to the pump you linked to in the post above;

“ FAQs
Why is the pump making a whining noise all of the time?

A whining pump is usually caused by air in the power steering system. Inspect the reservoir for proper fluid level. If fluid has foam or air bubbles present, air has entered the system or has not been properly bled (ensure all hoses/clamps are tight). Some systems require special vacuum bleeding procedures.…”

They even give a video; How to Correctly Fill & Bleed the Power Steering System https://www.amazon.com/vdp/b167799df09e4ec6bfd841370ad75d97

· Registered
2003 Chevrolet Astro RWD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what my reseach kept saying: "Air".....ive been turning the wheels lock to while the wngine was on.....illl try the procedures u listed...thankz
It is likely that the replacement is not defective, but rather there is still air in the system.

Jack up the front end, turn the wheels back and forth from lock to lock 10 times (engine off)…. Then do it again with the engine running 10-20 times…. See what you get.

Btw, this info is right on the add to the pump you linked to in the post above;

“ FAQs
Why is the pump making a whining noise all of the time?

A whining pump is usually caused by air in the power steering system. Inspect the reservoir for proper fluid level. If fluid has foam or air bubbles present, air has entered the system or has not been properly bled (ensure all hoses/clamps are tight). Some systems require special vacuum bleeding procedures.…”

They even give a video; How to Correctly Fill & Bleed the Power Steering System How to Correctly Fill & Bleed the Power Steering System
That still didnt work....just jacked it up.....still making noise when accelerating.....only other thing to try it seems is to use a vacumn pump....im calling oriellys now and seeing if i can rent one....i kno its supposed to use that mityvac GM Adapter
Ok

· Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,250 Posts
i find it soooo hard to believe a unit directly sent from Cardone is bad right out the box
Not likely
New noisy pump is not defective.. it's just likely has air in it.
Same for REMAN

Pumps aren't this difficult.
But you MUST bleed the air out, turning wheels LOCK to LOCK with ENGINE OFF.
This is done first.. numerous times... with engine off BEFORE you ever start it.
Otherwise you just churn up more air into foam.

Then it will take a while for tiny bubbles to surface.. may even take days.
And you'll still need to bleed it if this happened.

· Registered
2003 Chevrolet Astro RWD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not likely
Same for REMAN

This is done first.. numerous times... with engine off BEFORE you ever start it.

I just noticed the pulley is past the shaft about a 1/16" its is not flush with the pump shaft....i just had a friend rev it....hella noise from the pump but i smell slight rubber

Ive already lock to lock several times with the van on and off

· Registered
2003 Chevrolet Astro RWD
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not likely
Same for REMAN

mechanic came last night and swapped the pump back to the old one, and we installed the Bypass valve....it slightly bothers me that he doesnt take the time to replace the original dealer spring clamps.....he told me he's just makes sure it gets put back in the same spot on the hose that it was....might clean that up later

NEW CARDONE Pump comes this week, gonna change out my burnt (Rear A/C) Connector as well

NEEEVEEER EVVEER NEEVVEERR with REMANs Agian....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts