Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there !
I am a french guy living in Canada, and me & my wife very recently bought this beauty:
Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light

It's a 2001 AWD model with 233K kms, to which we would love to add a few thousands :)
Even if there are a few things to do (a small break fluid leak, a little steering issue, very little rust here and there (but nothing on the frame) and an appearently missing front drive shaft (i don't know why) making it 2WD), the he van is in pretty good shape, and I am highly motivated to make it look and feel all new again, so we can ride across the whole country ^^

I am pretty new to the mechanics world, so I'll let the big work to an actual professional, but I really want to learn how to be as independant as possible with the accessible stuff.

I instantly loved everything in this van, so I naturally started to search the internet for info and I rapidly discovered the little gold mine that this website is!

I look forward to learning and sharing with y'all :)

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,719 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like some minor work to be done but nothing major, pretty much everything will need to do has been covered here at one time or another. I highly recommend grabbing the GM Techline eSI, which is the digital factory service manual(links in sig) as it has all of the wiring diagrams and repair instructions for your van.

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
964 Posts
Welcome
that looks like a great vehicle with which to begin the journey (both automotive learning and on road versions of the journey)
In what part of Canada, are you currentlty?
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your nice messages, it's really great to see such an active website :)

I highly recommend grabbing the GM Techline eSI, which is the digital factory service manual(links in sig) as it has all of the wiring diagrams and repair instructions for your van.
Yes thank you, I actually had already looked for the factory manual and found an USB version of the eSI on ebay, I should receive it soon :)

Did the drive shaft come with the van or is it missing?
It was missing unfortunately, seems that the owner before the previous one removed it, I think I'll call the local junkyards to see if I can find one

In what part of Canada, are you currentlty?
I am currently in Québec, ready for the winter !

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,719 Posts
Yes thank you, I actually had already looked for the factory manual and found an USB version of the eSI on ebay, I should receive it soon
Awesome! If you run into issues setting up, the one in my sig runs in Virtualbox, so you can use it on Linux/Mac as well if needed.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,091 Posts
Welcome! You’re going to love it in winter - when you get a front driveshaft, that is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts