Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post and I'm a total novice so bear with me please. I'm helping my neighbor with his 89 Astro and were stumped. He had the starter replaced and all the wiring involved double checked. It started great after that for about 6 times then nothing when he tried it the 7th time. Replaced the ignition switch after replacing the toggle switch previously put in. Still nothing. We have no clue where else to go at this point. He checked to make sure everything is getting juice where necessary but it still doesn't want to start. All the dash lights work when turning the key but that's as far as it goes.
Help!

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,713 Posts
Could be a defective starter... but I'd be more inclined to believe it's a faulty connection. Check battery connectors first, then connections at starter.

One fast simple "load test" I use is to turn on headlights and see if they remain on while cranking. If they go out, you have a bad connection (most likely at battery). May also need to check ground.

If all checks good.. you'll need to get out the test equipment and test under load to see if 12v remains at starter while key is turned.

Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
No click. No nothing makes me think solenoid. Or connections. How old is the battery? Have you tried a jump box on ?

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Check the fusible links coming off the starter solenoid. There's also a connector behind the battery that is known for failure too.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,759 Posts
1st I would load test the battery and check to ensure connections at the battery and starter are clean and tight. It is possible to use a remote starter switch or even a screwdriver if you are careful about it to enable the starter directly. That would help track down where the problem is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for all the advice. I tested the battery and found it was at 50%. Did a trickle charge on it and the van started up right away. It was initially the ignition switch but after all the tinkering they had done on the van previously and then the van sitting for a bit the battery had drained. I'm quite proud of myself on this one due to there being 5 other guys working on this for my neighbor and couldn't get it done. I was able to diagnose and fix it mainly by reading the forums on this site. It's a great tool to have!

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,759 Posts
Glad you got it running, but that may not be the end of it, what is the voltage at the battery while it's running?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts