Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
id go with bad ignition control module....same problem few years back died right in the highway...towed it home and had fuel and spark but that module was bad ...no start condition and no check engne or stored codes...that module is important and controls alot..

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,240 Posts
IMHO,
My hat is off to you!
You are one brave fellow to drive it into Seattle for work, right after all the trouble you have just gone through, and just having got it running.
I am sure I would trust mine that soon.
Congratulations. I am very glad it worked out.
Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA ( 15 miles from Seattle )

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Final Update.
I ran it with the fuel injector cleaner for about 100 miles, mostly on the freeway, and around town. I got up this AM and it started right up. I drove to work and she ran smooth as silk. The vibration is gone.

I just wanted to say that I'm not sure if it was the Passlock system or the "hold pedal to the floor and crank" method that fixed the no start condition. I wanted to give the exact procedure of what I did for reference when it finally started.

I put my foot on the accelerator and pressed it all the way to the floor and held it there. I put the key in the ignition and cranked it a few revolutions then let go of the key so it returned to the "On" position and left it there for a minute. With out removing my foot from the pedal I started to crank the engine again. All of a sudden there was the loud bang and I immediately shut it off. I looked around at the engine inside and out and checked under the van for leaks or smoke. Nothing. I got back in and started cranking again and it sounded like it was going to start, and it did. It was very rough but it ran a little and then died. I did it again and gave it a little gas and I was able to keep it going. After that it kept running but the vibration was pretty obvious.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Al

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just realized I never updated this post. I took the van to a local mechanic and had him replace the plugs and wires since I couldn't seem to contort my 71 YO body enough to get to the plugs. Problem solved. They were all in really bad shape. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggetions.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts