Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I ditch the electronics on a rebuild, am I likely to only see a difference in mpg with city driving and other times when the engine is speeding up and slowing down frequently? Would highway mpg be about the same? Except maybe...high altitude might affect mpg? high humidity?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Your gauges won’t work, your transmission won’t shift, your fuel pump would
Have to be changed, your van would not be able to be registered in many places…

But other then that it would be fine.

that’s a lot of work for negligible reward….

But yes, a carb with a 700r transmission swap…. You could make it go. But why?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
If you want MPG then buy a Honda or Toyota lol. As Sailing_faith said you would have to go carb and 700R4, but you really won't gain anything as you would also have to get an older distributor and coil too. There is a reason everyone went to the computer in vehicles, to save on fuel and breakage of parts. As well as emissions.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,713 Posts
There is a reason everyone went to the computer in vehicles, to save on fuel and breakage of parts...
There is a LOT wrong with this statement.. LOL
Just breeze thru the countless engine trouble posts on this forum over the years.

Reactions: Pengyou

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have gotten 20 mpg several times with my rwd carb v8 swap and manual control conversion of the 4l60e.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,754 Posts
Out of the millions of Astro/Safari vans made, wonder how many were made with a carb. Only made for 1 year, only on the 4.3 VIN N, wonder if they ever made it to 50k. I really wish we had the numbers on that, would be interesting to know how many were made and how many of those 1985s are still on the road. Not a common sight, that is for sure. Then you have the DIY conversions, my guess would be that hundreds of people have done it.

My guess would be that out of millions, an extremely tiny percentage have a carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts