Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some electrical trouble that I think may be caused by the ignition switch so I've decided to replace it. Rockauto specifies the Standard US622. Amazon's vehicle filter said that the Standard US295 would work. At $65 plus free shipping and free returns vs $185-$270, I figured I would give it a try.

Turns out the reason the US295 is so much cheaper is that it does not have the Passlock wires and connector. A buddy of mine has a scantool. Can I disable passlock with the scantool and use this switch? Are there instructions somewhere on how to do this?

Background:

I didn't know this van had passlock until I went to pull the switch and saw the connector. Never looked at or noticed the security light before and I am wondering if passlock could be related to the issues I am having. Basic behavior is that the car dies while driving and then refuses to start. Lights work, dash is all lit up. Everything seems fine except that teh engine dies and then it doesn't even try and turn over. Can't say that I even hear the solenoid click. If I let it sit for awhile, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes two days it will start and run fine until I am a few miles down the road and then it will die and refuse to turn over again.

Right now it starts reliably bit I am afraid to take it anywhere for fear of it dying again. I have an ODB2 reader and it shows no codes. I've replaced the starter, solenoid and made sure that the positive and negatives going to the battery are solid.

Any suggestions in whether I can use this switch or other things to look at to debug this issue?

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,487 Posts
Not sure about your situation.
On my '98 when the ignition key got worn so bad it would not start ( cranks fine, but motor would only occasionally fire once or twice), I traced the problem to the Pass-Loc circuit.
A Brand New fatory key cut from the factory code cleared it up completely.
My pont is, I never had any issue with cranking the motor, but you seem to have that problem occasionally; so I supect something else.
Maybe poor connections in the Battery to Starter circuitry ( Make sure those battery terminals are taken apart and cleaned and tighten properly, particullarly if they are side terminal batteries.) The side terminal versions are notorious for getting corrosion between the flat cable end and the terminal face.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,451 Posts
No, you can't disable passlock with a scantool, requires a programmer.

Basic behavior is that the car dies while driving and then refuses to start. Lights work, dash is all lit up. Everything seems fine except that teh engine dies and then it doesn't even try and turn over.
That doesn't sound like a passlock issue at all. Passlock only disables the injectors. Once the vehicle is running, passlock isn't supposed to shut it down anyway, that would create a safety issue.

Next step will be when it dies and refuses to start to check the fuel pressure and spark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.