Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I started my engine with just the exhaust manifolds ran less then a minute then welded the exhaust together started it again and now I have coolant in my oil and somehow it looks like transmission fluid in there too? Radiator is new a year ago and it has not been driven so how the heck can transmission fluid be in the coolant unless the radiator is bad? I ordered top end gaskets to replace the intake and head gaskets but the trans fluid just does not make sense. I am pulling the engine out for the winter to go through it but should I replace the radiator again too? This really sucks.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,021 Posts
Did you take the van through Nevada when you moved back east.:alien:
You can pressure test an empty radiator using some plumbing caps from home depot or lowes to seal the hose outlets.

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all! I will have the engine on the stand in the barn by the end of next week. Thanks for the pressure test idea Ghost! I will try that. Then if I have to I will order another radiator.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,021 Posts
Did you check the trans fluid for signs of coolant or engine oil?

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just thinking, the trans fluid was not mixed in so it may be coming from the front trans seal which I will replace when I pull the engine, I think it was dripping from the flywheel cover and since I was draining the oil pan it just dropped into the mess. Whereas the oil and coolant were totally mixed and foamy the red was drops so that makes me feel better, I will still check the transmission fluid tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so here's what is going on, I pulled the intake no coolant or anything that is not suppose to be there. I pulled the valve covers and it's all light coffee colored foam. Transmission fluid is perfect colored so I think I am safe to say its a head gasket and I caught it with no harm done. Its suppose to rain for the next 3 days so all that is left to pull it is the exhaust, starter, the torque arm and the flywheel cover & flywheel , Oh and the transmission to block bolts. I will put a cargo strap under the trans from one side of the frame to the other to keep it in its place. (I have always done this.) Mark

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so its been in the 20's at night and 30's in the day so I go out for maybe an hour a day and bolt stuff on or hook stuff up. I got the engine to TDC and put the dizzy in today. tomorrow its suppose to get to 45 so I hope to get more done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts