Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the radiator on my 2002 astro and looking for the torque specs for the fittings that go into the radiator. I bought a nissens replacement radiator from rock auto and it came with an adapter to fit the trans lines which i immediately stripped out when installing it. the adapter was threading in easy (not cross threaded) and i used teflon tape on the threads. I watched a video on replacing it and he said 33 ft lbs torque.. is that to much? did i kill a $150 radiator?

thanks

Registered
2003 Safari AWD
33 sounds like a lot. Oil drain plugs aren't torqued that much.

Also... use a sealing paste instead of Teflon tape.

Option 1 - buy another radiator. Install fitting with permatex sealing paste until snug.

Option 2 - if you are able to fix this you would not have stripped out an aluminum fitting so see Option 1 馃檭

Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
Definitely sounds high to me. Though I don't think I have ever torqued one :) Maybe you can tap it for a slightly larger size and use a barbed adapter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely sounds high to me. Though I don't think I have ever torqued one :) Maybe you can tap it for a slightly larger size and use a barbed adapter.
yeah i think i killed it, saw the torque on a youtube video and just went with it, i just read torque guidelines for fittings to aluminum an its way less. Live and learn, expensive lesson

Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
FOR DECADES I'VE ALWAYS DONE THEM BY FEEL... ALWAYS.
They don't really need to be too tight.. just snug.
I also use Teflon tape.. it's never failed me.

Reactions: NoQuarter

Registered
2004 Astro AWD, 2004 Safari 2WD
if you did strip them, just delete them.
Many say they are not needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts