Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new 2000 Safari SLT owner and I'm in the slow process of sorting out a the little things. When I bought it the overhead display was working fine and was showing realtime mpgs and miles to empty. I thought it was the coolest thing and it then it stopped working the next day.

I checked the fuses under the dash and under the hood and can't find any that are bad. Are there any secret fuses or grounds or wires that I should check?

All the over head lights are still working. The rear defroster is not.

Thanks in Advance

· Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
562 Posts
The driver information center (DIC) gets power from the radio accessory fuse. So if your radio is working than the DIC should be getting power. Now if you pull the overhead console down and check the Connector the yellow wire is the supply voltage. You could use a test light or a DMM to see if it's getting power. If it is getting power then your DIC is most likely dead.

· Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
WinnieVan said:
If it is busted I'm pretty sure you can swap the unit out with another one.... not the whole console -- just the screen part.

I couldn't find the part online -- but you could probably check a JY.
There is a little box in back you switch out. The screen is just a color filter. The whole console is in modules basically. If you got to fool with it you can add options it didn't have from another one; Like the garage door opener. I got 2 storage compartments. All those just snap in.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have an 02 Safari that I bought new...
I was bummed when the console went out a couple of years ago but I never took the time to look into it.

Anyway, this forum inspired me... So I removed the console... Pretty easy... one screw in the very front (that I never noticed) and two screws in the rear, under the Dome Light lens.

I wiggled the connector in the front, for the Display... and it lit up! 🙂

Probably the connector terminals had oxidized a little, over the years...

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have it back!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts