Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My service engine light had came on, engine was a little warm. The water pump had failed and was literally shooting water out of the top hole. I didn't check codes.

I replaced it, and then checked codes. There was one referencing incorrect coolant temp as well as p0102 and p0340. I replaced the coolant sensor, camshaft position sensor, distributor cap (the tab that the screw goes through broke taking it off), the air filter, and cleaned the newish MAF sensor.

I drove it today, it seems better. The last drive it was jerking hard, like I was hitting stuff in the road, felt like the engine was almost seizing up (plenty of oil and pressure). There's still a slight something, a little bog that feels almost like if you downshift manually (but it isn't downshifting) though not as bad and not constant.

I got to work and checked, the codes are still there. Not sure what to check or where to start now.

Product Font Material property Screenshot Software

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh forgot add, if I clear codes while engine it is running it bogs and almost dies. They then come back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coolant temp reads normal on dash, around 160. The data from the code shows 45 though?

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,051 Posts
What van do you have? Year? RWD or AWD? If you put that info into your signature, we'll never have to wonder or ask.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I forgot that. It's a 99 Astro LS, RWD, 4.3L automatic. I posted at work, was trying to remember everything I had done, forgot the essential

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,051 Posts
A ‘99 has 2 sensors; which one did you replace: the one on the driver’s side head or the one by the thermostat?

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,051 Posts
Did you bleed all the air out of your radiator after replacing the sensor?

Oh, and when's the last time you replaced the thermostat?

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
Drivers side single wire sensor is the one that goes to the gauge, which is why your gauge is reading correctly. The two wire sensor up by the thermostat is the one that feeds the computer the engine temperature. The two should be close in temperature. Check the sensor/connector/wiring for that one by the thermostat.

Edit:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Air was bled, thermostat maybe 4 years ago. Will check the sensor upfront, maybe replace since it was dumping coolant all over the place.

Could this be causing the camshaft sensor error?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts