Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,240 Posts
JY = Junk Yard, as in Pick' n' Pull or similar
The same part is used for many years, so I think most wrecking yards , if they have many Astros, would probably have a useable one. Finding the correct color, will be slightly more difficult, unless you want 'white'!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JY = Junk Yard, as in Pick' n' Pull or similar
The same part is used for many years, so I think most wrecking yards , if they have many Astros, would probably have a useable one. Finding the correct color, will be slightly more difficult, unless you want 'white'!
Yes - Junk Yard... Wasn't thinking! Thank you!
Was hopping someone would say I have new ones left over from dealership stock.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I cannot imagine there would ever have been much demand for that piece. I think it would take an awful lot to damage one.
Rod J

·
Registered
930 Posts
ooh, That's going to be a tough one. Even the one's I've seen at the junk yard are mostly cracked or broken. They sit in the sun and bake. The plastic becomes brittle.

The one installed on my Van is cracked on one edge but hanging together. I have a second one that is also broken on one edge and I've been hanging onto it just in case the one on my van really starts to fall apart.

Just have to keep scanning the junk yards and keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ooh, That's going to be a tough one. Even the one's I've seen at the junk yard are mostly cracked or broken. They sit in the sun and bake. The plastic becomes brittle.

The one installed on my Van is cracked on one edge but hanging together. I have a second one that is also broken on one edge and I've been hanging onto it just in case the one on my van really starts to fall apart.

Just have to keep scanning the junk yards and keep your fingers crossed.
Yes, that's what happened to mine. It cracked from baking in the sun. Should have bought a few before they were discontinued!
Thank you for the comments...

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong item. I though you wanted the metal air intake grill in front of the windshield. I obviously looked up the part number incorrectly...sorry for the irrelevant comment.
Rod J

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,276 Posts
GM Parts Giant

A little pricy and shipping will be $$$
Unfortunately not currently available

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, but I've been down that route many times in the last (approx.) 2 years. This part is back ordered or discontinued. No longer manufactured... That's been my frustration with trying to obtain this part. GM really should continue to make some various discontinued parts for the reason their is a lot of Astro - Safari van's still on the road, in my opinion.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,276 Posts
You can go on row52.com, or car-part.com
Unfortunately once discontinued parts almost never get reissued by manufacturers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think I saved that piece from a parts van I scrapped. Condition was good, no cracks that I noticed, but re-painting wouldn't be a bad idea. I'll have to find it though.

·
Registered
930 Posts
You should just get yourself on the search list for row52. You can set the search to a distance from where you are and what vehicles you are looking for.

They will notify you every time a vehicle is brought in to a near by JY.

·
Registered
RWD's 2002 & 04
378 Posts
I tried row52, it hasn't caught on in my area.
Seems only 1 small JY participates, pullers prolly do though.
I've never put a hit out on a part, only wanted to see inventory & alerts.
Houston's the 4th largest US city & has some of the least environmental rules.
JYs out the wazoo here, 3 results from only one yard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts