Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Astro V6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
O'Reilly(somewhat close by..or Auto Zone) seems to have 4 different part numbers for the transmission parts in my 2004 Astro(model ?..can't seem to find one..other than "passenger"..) supposedly dependent on the shape of the pan..anybody have some part numbers based for this pan?I'm trying to get the correct parts before I incapacitate it without fluids in it.. Picture of the trans/pan..
One O'Reilly seems to be about 50/50 for handing out the correct parts..the other doesn't seem bad..I could go to Auto Zone..but they seem to be $$ for this area..like 50% higher...???
We are supposed to get about 4 days (hopefully) without rain..so I plan on trying to get this one done and the other one done as far as trans fluids changes for both.I have the parts for the 1990 one..which still isn't licensed yet(more things to do.
Mother Nature is still raining on my parade..but I set up a Harbor Freight canopy so I can finish some exterior work.like finally paint the roof on the 1990...maybe install some rack rails,if I can find the crossracks I don't have yet.
Anyway..trans fluids come first.. I haven't seen the differences in the trans pans..so I don't know if this the factory shallow or a deeper one..looks shallow to me.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
532 Posts
That looks like a deep pan with the lower sump area. The shallow pan is just flat.

·
Registered
2004 Astro V6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..just trying to save a third trip down there when the vehicle is jacked up and empty of fluid.I'll check and see if they have the plug/pan(and the correct filter), but they don't seem to know which one was right already.
I'd get it on Rock Auto but just don't have a week right now to wait for the parts..and possibly be wrong. I can take local parts back.

·
Registered
2004 Astro V6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
O'Reilly's only had one that bothered to mentioned the "two step fluid pan". Guess which one I bought!😁 At times of $5+ per gallon of gas..one trip is enough.The other trip (before) was buying something else I needed so that one didn't count..I guess..
PowerTorque FK373 Filter and Gasket $27.99 Distributed from Springfield,MO..Made .. ???
One more thing..they didn't list the GM one with the magnetic drain plug..Couldn't a person just attach a big magnet to the bottom of the pan and drive around a little bit before pulling the pan?
:rolleyes:..just a thought..

·
Registered
2004 Astro V6
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay..new question..What is the capacity for the trans fluid using this deeper pan?..actually two questions..Is the dipstick accurate with the deeper pan? I pulled out 4 quarts plus..but only bought 3..so anyway..I still need to make that extra trip I guess..
Hmm..with more thinking..the dipstick goes into the shallow end of the pool?:rolleyes:
Sorry..crawling under two Astros gives me brain farts.. I hope you can understand..:LOL:
Edit..Never mind..I found the answer on youtube(with my trans and deep pan)..start with 4 quarts..probably need to add a 1/2 quart more..once it is warmed up..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts