Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed today that the bushings for my Overland Vans rear leaf spring shackle are completely gone, not the bushing thats leaf spring to shackle but the bushing that is actually installed into the shackle where it mounts to the frame. I see the Overland Vans website wont let you order any parts so Im curious if anyone knows where to get the bushings that fit the shackle. Thanks for the help

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,261 Posts
Measure them and get generics, or call/email Overland Vans, he is having health issues so give him time to reply.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,133 Posts
I had the same exact happen to me.. blew out the bushings on the lift shackle completely! I just changed mine this weekend.

The ones in Strovelander's link look correct, and yes they are quite standard for GM
1.5" OD, 0.75" ID (depth roughly 1" each or little more). The sleeve is .075" OD / 0.50" ID

I replaced mine with Energy Suspension with PN 3.2124 ($18 Amazon)
Fit and installed perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-3-2124G-Shackle-Pickup/dp/B000CN95VA/ref=asc_df_B000CN95VA/
Product Automotive tire Cosmetics Material property Font

(they are also available in red)

I was a little surprised to see them completely blown out and disintegrated after only a couple years.

I have read that regular petroleum based grease (which I used) can destroy them.. and it is strongly recommended to use silicone grease only. Forget using the zerk fitting.. the silicone grease is rubbed on by hand. I only used the supplied silicone grease on the original shackle sleeves (which you'll want to re-use, not the shorter supplied sleeves) and the outer face after assembly.

BE AWARE: lift shackles come in two sizes:
3" Multiple steel leaf springs (GEN2)
3.5" Mono leaf springs (GEN1)
Both use same bushings

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys so much for the help, I ordered the bushings off amazon and will try to get them in this weekend.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,133 Posts
I found I did not have to un-do my shocks when lifting my van to remove shackles.
But that may vary with different vans.

I merely put the jack (with block spacers) under my trailer hitch and jacked until wheels started coming off the ground. But be aware this method can be tricky if you're not on perfect level smooth ground. Blocks can fly out if not perfectly square with load. Another method might be to jack up pretty high (under differential), place jack stands under frame, then lower differential.

Leaving the shocks attached, the drive side was easiest (lined up perfectly).. passenger side dropped a tiny bit too far (so just let the van down a little). You can flex the spring by hand enough to easily slide bolts though. I only needed 3 tools.. 13/16" wrench, 13?16" ratchet-socket, 7/8" wrench. It's actually metric, but this still worked for me. Job is about 15 min a side max.

It doesn't hurt to always be safe, even though you really don't have to get underneath. Once van is up in air (regardless of how you lift).. you should place jack stands under body/frame where it makes sense (rear axle will need to swing freely). Just do one side at a time. I placed my jack stands at the forward end of the leaf-springs under the perch.

Pretty easy job.

Again, do not pump the zerk fitting with petroleum based grease. As I said, I suspect this is what destroyed the urethane bushings in the first place. Apply silicone grease (supplied) by hand. Don't forget outward face of bushings that slide up into the body of van. You'll want to completely clean this area of former grease before sliding shackle back into place. I'm old school... gasoline on paper towels (or rags) make a great cleaner.. lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts