Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its time to change the plugs and wires on my Astro. Any tips, is it as hard as people say, having to pull the front tires. Any help on this would be appreciated. Its a 99 astro. What should I use if anything to lube the spark plug threads going back in? Also, if I encounter a stuck plug is there something I can spray on it to help loosen it up? Thanks for any help.

Jim

· Registered
142 Posts
Well Jim, ease of changing the plugs depends on how long your arms are....My husband finds it to be very easy...I have very short arms and can't reach half of them through the doghouse area. I found that it was much easier for me to jack up the van and remove them from underneath, but bear in mind, I have really short arms.

I never lubed the threads, so i asked my husband and he says it isn't critical as the astros have cast iron heads...but if you were to lube it, anti-seize.

My husband said PB Blaster for a stuck plug, but my dad is a WD-40 guy. So I guess my answer is, whatever floats your boat. :)

Oh and a shot of dielectric grease inside the boot of the plug wires wouldn't hurt :D

· Registered
287 Posts
My husband did mine. He removed the wheels. He said my plugs weren't stuck, but he also said of all the work he's done on my van, this was the worst. I didn't see it, I wasn't there. (And yes, his arms are short) :mrgreen:
Good luck Jim.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for all the enthusiastic ha ha just kidding, reinforcement. I'm not looking forward to this. Tried to see them once and gave up. Will just force my way to get it done this weekend.

Jim

· Registered
1,180 Posts
I've done this more than a few times, I'll tell you it sucks when you have to do it because you've jammed an injector open and you've gotta pull/replace em so that you don't hydro the motor. Yeaaaaaah good times. At least after some practice it's doable in about 45 minutes. My preference for the fronts is through the wheel wells or under the van, the rears is more going from the dog house. How hard are the fronts to change on a V8 van?

· Registered
21 Posts
2000 safari awd,changed all plugs from underneath except for #1,I got that from the wheel well,had to remove wheel in order to reach it.I am 6' tall and with the awd there is no crossmember under the engine, I did not find the job too bad.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on this spark plug topic. I did change the plugs on my weekend repair day and did several extra things. Fuel filter, differential fluid, checked , and replaced the plugs and wires. Did find that patience is an absolutely needed thing. Only problem plug was the left side rear plug. This one I cracked the first time I put the new one in and had to replace it. It was the only one I did from under the van. All the others I did through the wheel wells. While doing this I also found a loose vacumn line that was my defrost/ac/vent problem. All in all a good learning experience. Damn those cavalier plugs sure are easy to change compared to this.

Jim

thanks for all the help.

· Registered
13 Posts
"While doing this I also found a loose vacumn line that was my defrost/ac/vent problem."

Funny you should mention this. Last summer, my internal vents stopped working (defaulted to defraust). At that time, I verified no problem with the dash selector, and put a bandaid on it- bought a hand vacuum pump and hooked it into the cabin vacuum controls. I'll have to look under the car to see if I can find that elusive loose/broken vacuum hose.

· Registered
10 Posts
I changed out my plugs and wire yesterday on my 03. What a pain in the A$$! :screaming: I really don't ever want to do that again...

Anyone know how many hours it would take a proffessional to do this? I never even thought to ask the local garage for a price. I will be next time. ;)

· Registered
428 Posts
Mr_Roboto said:
I've done this more than a few times, I'll tell you it sucks when you have to do it because you've jammed an injector open and you've gotta pull/replace em so that you don't hydro the motor. Yeaaaaaah good times. At least after some practice it's doable in about 45 minutes. My preference for the fronts is through the wheel wells or under the van, the rears is more going from the dog house. How hard are the fronts to change on a V8 van?
fronts SUCK

· Registered
2,641 Posts
Hi 300sflyer

It's 1.4 hours to replace the plugs alone for your year. The first time is always the toughest to do. As long as you put the correct parts in, you shouldn't have to do it for another 100,000miles/160,000km, that's the nice part about it. Take Care. :)

· Registered
266 Posts
300sflyer said:
Anyone know how many hours it would take a proffessional to do this? I never even thought to ask the local garage for a price. I will be next time. ;)
At my garage, we charged $90.00 for the labor, if you supply your parts.
$216.74 total, if we supply the parts. This is for a complete tune-up.

You would get:
Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Pcv valve
Fuel filter
+ tax
+ labor

· Registered
5,490 Posts
That's the 2nd reason why I starting working on cars all the years ago. But without people that would pay to have that work done, i (and any other mechanic) would be out of a job.

· Registered
2,641 Posts
I was 18 when I started working on vehicles. The turning point for me was when I took my car in for a tune up, got charged for it, and found out nothing was replaced, nothing. They did refund my money, but felt it was time to get my hands dirty and make sure things were done the way they should be, even rebuilding my own engines.

We had an Excellent Mechanics teacher at the school I attended and the only reason why I could do the work myself, he was a wealth of knowledge when it came to engines and performance and the spring board for me to be able to work on Cars, Motorcycles, Fixed Wing Aircraft piston (as assistant) and Helicopters piston and some light turbine work which is a different beast altogether (as assistant).

Actually I had some great mentors through my walk in life and one of the reasons why I like to help here when I can, is because of those people that helped me. You never stop learning when it comes to trouble shooting and repairs. I guess thats enough of the "Ramble Channel", switching off. :)

· Registered
266 Posts
Matrixx said:
The turning point for me was when I took my car in for a tune up, got charged for it, and found out nothing was replaced, nothing.
That right there is what made it harder to get customers to trust us, either they've been taken before, or heard a story.
That and garages that take advantage of women.
It took a little time, but my shop wound up with a great clientel, with repeat customers. Who would also bring their friends and family.

If I caught one of my guys scamming someone, instant termination, no chances.

:chevy:
Has nothing to do with this I just think it's funny!

· Registered
2,641 Posts
Hi Positive P
The world would be a much better place if everyone had that same integrity as you do. My friend owns a shop and is honest as the day is long. It took him years as well to build his clientel up but has a very good following now. I worked with him for about 20 years now off and on.

I was the grave yard shift to help him catch up from the previous days work while he slept up in the rafters for a few hours, then back at it again. He has his own shop now and it is built on Honesty and Integrity.

It does take a long time to get people to trust you for sure. You build your customer base on Rock (Honesty) not Sand (Dishonesty) . My hat goes off to you Positive P and others that take that same "honest" approach. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.