Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Does anyone know where I can buy this kind of pop top? Most of the kits I have seen hinge one end of the top to the roof of the vehicle.

·
Registered
92 stro base
226 Posts
If that is in fact a kit that can be installed on the van, I don't know. To me it more resembles a roof top mounted tent. Here are a few brands:

·
Registered
92 stro base
226 Posts
Thank you. I wonder if something like this: Sparrow XL Roof Top Tent | Roofnest.com could be mounted on a stro directly to the roof and sealed, then cut a moonroof into the van to get in and out of?
As the United Way says, "When there's a will, there's a way". How much time and money would you want to spend on it? Also, be sure to ask the manufacturer of the tent you want to put on for their input. They may have something designed for that purpose already, or they might take the input to go design one.
As far as I know, they are all designed to be mounted and removed with ease at will and entered via ladder from outside the vehicle, though some have "awnings" to allow you to climb the ladder out of rain and snow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As the United Way says, "When there's a will, there's a way". How much time and money would you want to spend on it? Also, be sure to ask the manufacturer of the tent you want to put on for their input. They may have something designed for that purpose already, or they might take the input to go design one.
As far as I know, they are all designed to be mounted and removed with ease at will and entered via ladder from outside the vehicle, though some have "awnings" to allow you to climb the ladder out of rain and snow.
That's for sure! I would view this as a compromise for my needs. When I am driving, I don't need more headroom in the van, but when I am stopped for camping, it would be nice to be able to pop it up and stand up straight...even if I only had half of the area cut out, I would still stand up to dress and stretch. I don't think it would cost that much $$ to attach it permanently. My main issue is determining what cutting a 4' by 4' hole in the roof of my astro would do to the integrity of the body, but I see astro's with practically all of the roof removed - somebody must have already thought of this. Good on you for your suggestion to check with the mfg.

·
Registered
1997 AWD GMC Safari
879 Posts
The pic is a van done by Colorado Camper Vans (CCV) - they don't do Astro/Safaris anymore. There is a guy called mountain goat metalworks who started doing poptops for these vans. Do some looking around the site - there are several threads about it.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,451 Posts
It's not a cheap conversion unless you get yourself a used GTRV top or something along those lines or make one yourself.

IIRC CCV was originally going to make the plans available, but then backed out of doing that.

Unfortunately it's hard to justify $10,000+ for a van that is worth 1/2 to 1/3 of that and isn't being made anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts