Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 1996 van i push my radiator cap down and turn left until it wont go anymore and then try to pull it off but it does'nt come off , its like its stuck on one side! any body know how to get this off

· Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,399 Posts
On sticky ones, I've found that pushing down with my palm and turning with my whole hand is the only way to get it unstuck. I'd recommend getting a new cap, though.

· Registered
1995 chevy astro van
67 Posts
Yep its deffinitly a sticky one I felt pretty stupid asking how to take a radiator cap off !
Haha I hear ya, I'm at it with mine, and the sludge and reservoir tank is brown sludge. I'm like won't that cap come off ?, is that why noone has changed the coolant, I don't know my hand hurts so I'm leaving it until tomorrow.

· Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,534 Posts
Haha I hear ya, I'm at it with mine, and the sludge and reservoir tank is brown sludge. I'm like won't that cap come off ?, is that why noone has changed the coolant, I don't know my hand hurts so I'm leaving it until tomorrow.
You have to push down on the cap and then turn counter-clockwise.

· Registered
499 Posts
Too funny. I also searched to see if there's a trick because my radiator cap is "stuck" and I found this thread. It might just be sticky but I'm not going to force anyhting until I have a replacement in my hands. I have some stuff being delivered tomorrow so I also added a new radiator cap to the order just in case. The simple things always give you the most trouble.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Yes,it is not a perfect world, many caps and rads are not highest quality, and on a Astro, can be hard to push it evenly down while turning. Bought these back n the 70's, used them almost daily, up until recently, being "mostly retired".
Bicycle part Cable Electric blue Natural material Eyewear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts