Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,327 Posts
pmou said:
Hey @sixsix, my mom had a saying.. maybe yours did too.. about not having anything nice to say. Know the one?

If not, I'll just add you to my foes since I've only seen not-nice and backhanded racist comments from you since I joined the site.
Got rid of the offending post - everyone is so Karen anymore.
And my "racist comments" were not intended to be backhanded - but in a " IN YOUR FACE " kind of way.
And I have my rights also. I hate stupid people and so often that gets jumbled into Racism.

Foe ? Seems kinda' drastic. Really - You must not read all my posts.

To be fair - If by some off chance that I have grievously offended you trying to open a few people's eyes with VERY brisk and Angry comments, I am sorry. You may have noticed, I have calmed a bit and only cuss out tall Ukrainians and wealthy great dane owners now. Management put an ankle thing on me, so I am "winged" as you might say...

but... only 3 weeks left and I can bother you again willy - nilly ( just kidding ).

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,781 Posts
pmou said:
Have done a few stressful drives with highway mountain passes (close to same drive as before) and have not had the code pop up! i think it's likely that the ignition coil was at least a part of the issue, and probably should have just been done with the dist/wires/plugs
They are all part of that system. The longer the plugs/wires/cap/drive gear get neglected, the higher the rate for damaging the ICM and coil. Glad you got everything working the way it should be!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
well, unfortunately for you everyone on this planet with a skin tone that isn't yours also has their rights, and somebody here is outnumbered.

also, you should double check the meaning of Karen as you seem to have it backwards.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/karen/

Karen is a pejorative slang term for an obnoxious, angry, entitled, and often racist middle-aged white woman who uses her privilege to get her way or police other people's behaviors.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,097 Posts
I don't give a flying F what color you are, what gender you identify with, what whatever. I care how you treat people, I care how you treat animals, and I care how you treat vehicles. Period.

Don't care for anyone named Karen, don't care for anyone nicknamed Karen.

I do, however, care that you're running a van with a coil (or any other ignition component) from the factory with well over 17 years on it. That's just not smart. Ain't nuttin' running like it was from the factory with over 15 years of heat and cold on it. Think about it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Leeann_93 said:
I do, however, care that you're running a van with a coil (or any other ignition component) from the factory with well over 17 years on it. That's just not smart. Ain't nuttin' running like it was from the factory with over 15 years of heat and cold on it. Think about it.
when you say it like that it makes it seem foolish, certainly... slowly learning this is the attitude i need to have with almost every part of the vehicle..

·
Banned
5,327 Posts
pmou said:
... Karen is a pejorative slang term for an obnoxious, angry, entitled, and often racist middle-aged white woman who uses her privilege to get her way or police other people's behaviors.
OK? I did get it right after all... seems

Just a tad of history - our family is a blended type - wife & I had to adopt and raise her passed sister's bi-racial/AA kids.
We are still friendly w/ the Nautilus dad, as we were when she was alive, but something happened to him and he had no need for kids, I guess. So we brought them up and still, 35 years later still care for 1 of the boys, who also happens to be "kindly slow".

We just recently had to go to court for So. Sec re-entitlement. Seems he lost track of his total hours and worked more than allowed while drawing disability - it amounted to $132 over a 3 month period. Gov't. wants their $47,000+ back.
The people in THAT service industry is mostly minority and that makes it even harder... "HOW" is another whole chapter.
His "crew" has tried very hard to steer him wrong - "you in bed w/ unca' sam, you unca' Tom". Want him to ditch the ****** witch and go to work w/ them...

so... no I have no problem w/ blacks, just the STUPID ones that are pushing buttons and trying to rule the rest.

And, don't even get me started on Asians - we got them too - strange lot - if you think having blacks in a family is tough, you should be close and try to understand and protect the integrity of a Korean family group that more or less hates tall white guys ( all of us ).

No, I have no "Built-in Prejudices" or bigotry, except when combined w/ Stupidity.
I give you the Unjustified Response to Overt Police Killings that occurred this past year.

Never forget the definition of Racism: "Prejudice with Power" . Now, you must ask yourself, Who has the Power now and Will Not Use it Properly...

It's like the past 4 years - no matter how good things are - we just hate HIM.

·
Banned
5,327 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention the "Other" mixed race boy /man- 37 yrs old now...

Well after kicking *** in the Logistics Business and marrying a drop dead gorgeous, "peanut pretty" cauc. Angel, he went back to school, got a Nursing degree and going for a masters, teaching Emer. and EMT methods and has immersed himself in Helping the Baby Boomers ( according to him - that's ( actually, they're' ) where the money's at. He was tough, but not as hard as us ( and our entire family ) ...

There are many more like our family - we see racism - it's not like what you see on TV... and it is just like you see on TV...
And it is a bummer. No leaders, no goals, no media pushing ( cept BLM ), no introspective analysis as to what might be causing our police departments ( and every other group now recently ) to fear the black man as he is being influenced by outside interests that do not lie in "furthering the legit African American experience and search for success...

And w/ that... I am out.

ps: How is the Van running - any P0101 misfire thingies ? ... cuz that's what's important around here.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well, thought this issue had resolved but I just drove to Salt Lake and the CEL came on (solid, no flashing) on the drive. a confirmed p0101 in the computer. I did manage to grab the freeze frame from this one.. photos of the readout (across 2 screens, apologies) below.

Screenshot_20201230-135607.png

Screenshot_20201230-135650.png

I'm not sure which of these values could or would be off. at this point, the only things I could think of to check are:

- pcm wiring, I would think there would be other issues if the PCM had wiring problem that was not specific to this sensor. the fuel meter (on dash) is way off if that is somehow relevant.

- clogged / restricted cat. I pulled the DS o2 sensor at one point to see if the idle changed, but didn't notice anything. maybe it's not clogged enough to notice an issue there (it seems to idle pretty nice), but under load it is? I'm wondering if there is a way to measure exhaust backpressure that might tell us something.

- There is still a vacuum leak, somewhere. The only places I would think this could be still is the gaskets between the throttle body, intake manifold, block, etc (lower intake manifold gasket?). I've replaced the vac lines for the HVAC stuff very recently, those should be fine and I'm not getting the blows out the defrost under load issue.

This did occur at around 7000ft above sea level, and most of this drive was around 6000-9000ft above sea level. I would think the computer should be able to figure out the pressure/density changes though? Also, I do have larger tires than stock so the "speed" shown there is a. it lower than actual (30.5" tires so about 7-9% off)

I'll be away from home for a week or so and unable to really diagnose this too far. I'm planning to drive home (500mi) as well, hoping that's not an issue. I would assume the computer just goes to a fallback mode? the CEL stayed on the remaining 3-4hrs of the drive.

Edit: 11.9 lb/min == 89.96 g/s on the maf flow rate and 9.1psi == 62.74kpa

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,097 Posts
Without checking anything, the RPMs seem really high for 62mph. They're high for 72mph, really.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
it is the 3.73 gearing in the diffs, maybe that is relevant. if I had to guess this was probably after a kick to a lower gear while going up a hill.

edit: is this seriously something you think is worth chasing down or was this just a comment? I don't even understand how that could be off or what would done about it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Drove the van back from SLC and did not get a P0101 on the way back. I did replace the battery while there, i'm not sure if that could somehow be related but it seems unlikely in my mind. I'm considering adding a big ground strap as well, just to make sure that the grounding to the block is solid, although i would expect other sensors to be acting weird as well if that was the issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Heyo! guess what? It's back!!

Work done since owned, a lot since the last issue:

All over the summer (since last pop up):
  • replaced LIMG, valve cover gasket, everything in the Fel Pro kit
  • Replaced Injection spider
  • replaced water pump
  • New coolant w/ citric acid flush
  • new water pump w/ gasket
  • new radiator
  • new upper/lower radiator hoses
  • Electric fan conversion

Possibly before the last flare up and just general ownership stuff in the last 2.5yrs:
  • new PCV + hose
  • new ignition coil + ICM (not sure if that was before the last post, only done once)
  • replaced the breather hose from intake manifold to plastic snout thing on top of throttle body
  • replaced all vac lines (gone at time of purchase)
  • replaced O2 sensor DS upstream (got a P0141 i think at one point, thought maybe plug was fouled so went ahead and replaced)
  • new distributor
  • new plugs
  • new plug wires
  • new MAF
  • new battery
  • new engine + transmission mounts

I'm at a total loss at this point. Remaining items that are related according to FSM is ECT, IAT, and MAP. From myy OBD2 watching, the MAP seems accurate. the IAT also seems accurate by this measure. ECT.. I don't have a laser temp measure thing so I can't see if it matches what's coming out of the block (that would be my best guess how to verify?). OR I am somehow missing a vaccum leak that is ocurring somewhere but this seems unlikely given how many times I've looked through this.

It always pops up on a huge hill climb (>3000Ft, 2-3mins of climbing), usually pretty cold out (<50F), mostly full throttle. This last pop had a freeze frame as well, I attached. Any thoughts? Is this just something I should ignore??

Font Material property Circle Number Parallel

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Circle

Font Circle Parallel Number Rectangle

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Does anyone know where the wheel speed reading and the RPM reading comes from for the ECU/PCM ? It seems like these don't line up just based on my calculating. I do have oversized wheels, but the ECU speed is going to be without those, so I used stock tire size. Trans ratio is based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L60-E_transmission - 0.696 for 4th, 1:1 for third, or 1.625 for 2nd. Neither 3rd nor 2nd really seems to line up with what is in the freeze frame... I have to assume this must have dumped down into 2nd on a big climb from third? that's the only thing that gets it even close to the right RPM. Rear ratio is based on VIN, the RPO codes were gone at purchase (not stock passenger door).

This is what I get based on readings in the 1st freeze frame:

2nd

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Multimedia

And second freeze frame, 2nd gear:

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot

Both seem to be about 8-9% short on the RPMs. This started before I lifted the van, although the discrepancy appears to be about exactly the speed difference if moved to a 30.5" tire. Could this be a problem with one of those sensors? Red herring? Looking into this as @Leann_93 mentioned the RPMs seemed high.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Ok well, I decided to put a vacuum gauge on the vehicle, in hindsight probably would have been a good early test.

Here's a video of the readings:

According to the info I found in Will's site, this seems to be low indicating either a vacuum leak or bad rings. If it's a vacuum leak, I think it must be in the dash somewhere as I have replaced all lines in the engine bay and done all gaskets behind the MAF as a part of the LIM.

info referenced here: Astro-Safari-Info - Vacuum Gauge Reading

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
put the gauge on the dash side of the check valve in the bay and let it sit for 10mins or so.. no drop in pressure at all - steady 15inHg. hey at least the vacuum system is solid...

guess this points to worn rings? I have had a lot of oil consumption, but thought it could just be the leak at the timing cover.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
one last test for today - pulled one of the O2 sensors just to rule out plugged exhaust.Resting still at 15inHg and only rebounded to about 17inHg this time, I guess due to bad O2 signals? not sure. either way, didn't increase vacuum pressure which I would expect would happen if the exhaust was plugged and I freed it up by removing the O2 sensor.

seeming like a leak down test is in my future, but I may pay a shop to do it while I have it in for some other work. open to anyone else's thoughts.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts