Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC Compressor is making some noise so it is time to replace it. I have done most all the work on my van myself, but have never replaced the compressor, any tips or input on where to begin, like is it best to remove the dog house or is it all done from the front. What needs to be removed to gain access to the compressor as it is kind of covered up. I have read where some have said the job is easy, others say it is a nightmare, so any help is appreciated. I will order a compressor with a dryer, expansion valve and orifice tube & proper oil. I can have it evacuated, purged and filled free so that is no problem.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say the year, it is a 1994 Gen1 with Front & rear AC & Heat. After looking closer I see that the compressor and dryer have been replaced at sometime, the both are Delphi & I suspect so is the condenser.

·
Registered
2003 Safari AWD
189 Posts
I recently did mine from in front of the van only. Reaching the connection on the compressor was easy enough from the front.

Be prepared for brass/aluminum connections to not come apart without destroying the threads.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks NoQuarter, but it seems the Gen1 vans are a different animal, looks like the dog house has to be removed to get to the rear brackets, thanks though.
anyone else have some input? :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts