Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 AWD GMC Safari
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the drip rail wiper seal thing over the slider/passenger front door in my van. I'll probably do the driver's door too.

The one I have on there right now has a rip in it.

I can't find any info on what this is called or where I could buy it. I took measurements, here they are -

So I found something close on mcmaster carr, but it's definitely not exactly the same. Anyone know where to find this?
Closest thing on Mcmaster carr- McMaster-Carr
Similar products on Mcmaster carr - McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
RWD's 2002 & 04
323 Posts
I do not know where to find it.
Did find the diagram with the no longer available part # for Pass. & Dr.'s side.

The torn lip on mine is thin and flexible.
Seems like you could glue a pc. of old bicycle innertube to tears.
Cheaper innertubes have thinner rubber too.
Once glued, edges could be feathered down with Dremel sanding wheel.
Between sanding and adding an extra layer of goop over it - should be pretty flush.
Not much to lose trying to patch it.

·
Registered
RWD's 2002 & 04
323 Posts
It's a noble effort to find a new replacement.
We'll need them one day unless Steele Rubber steps up.

Off-subject example:
I removed 2 Rear drip rails at JY from good Tx. vans, an 01 & 05.
Both had a little rust going on, inside & out.
They're exposed to weather at both raw ends, rivet areas don't help matters and the one's from Barn Doors have two nicks in it's bottom center from the doors' top corners digging in.
The metal inside starts to rust and even raise rubber from bubbling.
That's what made me lean towards trying to patch before I'd bother with a used replacement.
My originals are in good shape except for some tears.

I bought the better of the 2 seals and the best front door seal I'd found.
Both are spotty even with perfectly good rubber.
Luckily St. Rbr. does make the Rear drip.
And the IS-MW 00100 (that SportsBoy used on his Rear door DIY) works for Front door seals & hella cheaper than from St. Rubr.

The JY trip made me question the integrity of all used seal's metal innards.
Long term that is

·
Premium Member
2005 AWD 3+1 on 32X17's.
33 Posts
Pretty simple fix. It's called vertical bulb trim seal, or trunk seal. I used 10 feet of .87 vertical x .039 x .022 grip. Its on Amazon for 20 bucks. This is the upper seal and it continues over the passenger door. The inner or lower seal is different and a little tougher to install. That one is called 1" side bulb x 20 feet. I replaced all seals when I did mine for 80 bucks. Best - Chris

·
Registered
RWD's 2002 & 04
323 Posts
I stood on the Pass. & Slider doors' footwells to look at the original 'roof drip molding' after shutting each door.
The small bulb doesn't appear to make any contact with the doors and it's gutter doesn't either.
Seems the main purpose of these is to prevent water from dripping on you while loading/unloading.
And to lessen the amount of water the actual door seals deal with by ushering it away from them ahead of time.

I did see the molding VannyD used before, I didn't like the look of it at the time.
I didn't know what position the minimal gully would end up in after closing the doors, especially over time between the slider and pass. door.

Didn't give it any more thought after seeing the next related product that was bulb-less & with more of flap than a gully.
That gully/flap stuck outwards more than it did upwards and didn't have much curve to it.
This one looked like a safer bet & the doors would probably push the more substantial gully/flap up when closed, possibly training it to shape.
I gave up the search at that night but was still hoping for a better match.

I'm stoked that VannyD bought this product and hopefully he'll give us some side shots with the doors closed, and a long term update.
What I'd really like to see is a complete thread of almost every aftermarket seal you can buy.
All the way to side by side comparisons of some of the Steele Rubber seals (that may be unnecessarily overpriced) next to generic.
After that thread went on awhile, it could be edited into an organized list with no comments goofing it up in between.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,021 Posts
Seems the main purpose of these is to prevent water from dripping on you while loading/unloading.
And to lessen the amount of water the actual door seals deal with by ushering it away from them ahead of time.

Didn't give it any more thought after seeing the next related product that was bulb-less & with more of flap than a gully.
That gully/flap stuck outwards more than it did upwards and didn't have much curve to it.
This one looked like a safer bet & the doors would probably push the more substantial gully/flap up when closed, possibly training it to shape.
Just like the drip rail over the rear doors. It is intended to catch and channel water away from the door seal.
It should be a flap to form the gutter and from the measurements shown it should have a 0.37" flap

GM Part 15757320, Driver side drip rail is still available. High $$$
GM Part 15757319, Passenger side front and slider drip rail is NLA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts