Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this beauty a few years ago hoping to build a camper van. Now I am trying to have everything complete for a several month trip starting November 28th! Pulled the engine out the front 2 nights ago and thought I would share some pics. I know everyone wants to drop the subframe, but I really did not want to do that on my dirt floor where cribbing and jackstands often move a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now the important work has begun. Motor mounts, transmission seal, transfer case gaskets, frame rust prevention, oh yeah and an engine from a grandpa's s10 with just 22k mi. New gaskets, seals, water pump, thermostat, and lots of quality in every part I am replacing.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,238 Posts
Nice job cutting cross-support and making it easy and fast.

Two things:

1. Curious.. what was your reasoning for moving your cut (on left side) and not cutting (flush with opening) your original drawn line? (or maybe the angle of the photos are misleading?) Did this get in your way? I notice you moved your driver-side cut too.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Composite material Gas

2. I see your hook hanging a little long (above)..
Did you have enough LIFTING room?
Typically (going out front) I always suggest getting the hook tight against arm
(almost inside arm like mine show below)
Hand tool Wood Automotive tire Gas Bumper

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting

Note I didn't pull manifolds for removal (above) and had engine fully assembled for installation (shown below).

Sidenote: hook needed to be moved (after this photo) to front hole so motor went in at MORE of an angle.. going in level won't work. (chain was redundant and unnecessary.. my first time using plate)
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper Technology

It is SO much easier assembling engine on stand first.. but that's just me. I'm always looking for the easiest, quickest, and most effective solution. Here's my V8 going in.. note how much of it is already assembled... intake, headers, valve-covers, water-pump, pulleys, heck even plugs are already installed.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

The next time I did this installation I even pre-attached the plug wires (see below).. lol In my opinion, makes for far less work later. I've been doing engines a LONG time.. so these are just my suggestions... but I still learn as I go too. (In this photo (below) you can see how much lifting room I have)...
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive design

Sorry to be posting photos of mine.. just hoping to be helpful.

How will you be powering your engine?
Stock fuel injection system (and wiring) from your S10 donor?
What trans?

I know I share the same feeling as everyone else.. we look forward with great anticipation to this great project of yours.

Wish you luck on your timeline goal!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice job cutting cross-support and making it easy and fast.

Two things:

1. Curious.. what was your reasoning for moving your cut (on left side) and not cutting (flush with opening) your original drawn line? (or maybe the angle of the photos are misleading?) Did this get in your way? I notice you moved your driver-side cut too.
View attachment 287381

2. I see your hook hanging a little long (above)..
Did you have enough LIFTING room?
Typically (going out front) I always suggest getting the hook tight against arm
(almost inside arm like mine show below)

Note I didn't pull manifolds for removal (above) and had engine fully assembled for installation (shown below).

Sidenote: hook needed to be moved (after this photo) to front hole so motor went in at MORE of an angle.. going in level won't work. (chain was redundant and unnecessary.. my first time using plate)

It is SO much easier assembling engine on stand first.. but that's just me. I'm always looking for the easiest, quickest, and most effective solution. Here's my V8 going in.. note how much of it is already assembled... intake, headers, valve-covers, water-pump, pulleys, heck even plugs are already installed.

The next time I did this installation I even pre-attached the plug wires (see below).. lol In my opinion, makes for far less work later. I've been doing engines a LONG time.. so these are just my suggestions... but I still learn as I go too. (In this photo (below) you can see how much lifting room I have)...

Sorry to be posting photos of mine.. just hoping to be helpful.

How will you be powering your engine?
Stock fuel injection system (and wiring) from your S10 donor?
What trans?

I know I share the same feeling as everyone else.. we look forward with great anticipation to this great project of yours.

Wish you luck on your timeline goal!
1. I made the original mark behind a both spot welds. Took some measurements and moved them in to leave some original strength. Also the pic is deveiving, it is directly in line with the sheet metal below.

2. With the later model AWD you have 2 options for getting the engine out the front (without messing woth the sub frame). You can remove the intake and make several re picks repositioning the chain to get high enough to clear the engine mounts, then a second pick to clear the oil pan over the front diff and a 3rd pick point to tilt the engine to clear the master cylinder, a/c housing, etc. Second option would be to take the front differential loose and lower it down 2". Either way you have to remove the intake plenum at a minimum. I have pulled serveral of these in a shop I used to work in, tried lots of ways. Through 95 they gave you enough room to come straight out with just a tight chain, after that it was all designed to come out on the subframe drop.

I am installing a 4.3 all stock, but like new. Running the van wiring and ecm. All exactly the same components, sensor and connector location. I am in California so I can't make too many changes without seeing a smog ref. For now with stock trans and awd transfer case, but looking to make real 4wd soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So finally getting another day out of the rain to work on my Astro. Looks like I broke some insulation and the heater valve on the way out. More pics to come of the freshening I am working on before the install. Frame clean up, motor mounts, transmission front pump seal, transfer case to transmissio gasket, rear transfer case seal, and transmission mount install coming up. Also will be replacing as much hardware as possible.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Tread Auto part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Trunk

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Fender

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While swapping the valve covers I found some interesting stuff... Rockerarm about to fall off and a connector boot disolving in the valley! I got this van for free several years back with a blown motor. It will be interesting to see what else I find.

Gas Motor vehicle Art Auto part Font

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone know if the oil pump screen on the 2wd differs from the AWD? Swapping oil pans now and the 2wd pan is the same depth as the AWD but the 2wd screen is shorter than the AWD. I am thinking about twisting it to make it the same depth as what my van had in it before...

·
Registered
92 stro base
226 Posts
Anyone know if the oil pump screen on the 2wd differs from the AWD? Swapping oil pans now and the 2wd pan is the same depth as the AWD but the 2wd screen is shorter than the AWD. I am thinking about twisting it to make it the same depth as what my van had in it before...
Can you not just re use and clean if needed the part from your old one?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts