Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Sitting here at Cape Cod.... At my stepmothers family reunion.

So, CA-FL, then up to CT and over to MA... Back to CT and now out on the Cape.

Camped on Martha's Vineyard, been all over... Had an amazing evening in Newport RI...

Life is good.

5,356 miles since I left CA.... Van is doing great with the MAF unplugged....

I am so full.

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Ok, so first I have to say New England has been amazing. There are now only 3 of the contiguous states this van has not been in....

Back and forth from CT, to MA, RI, NY, then back up through CT, RI and MA again... The last few days here at Cape Cod have worked out to do some more maintenance and an oil change.

I got my original MAF flown out from CA.... Retaped the wires I inspected in my repeterd stops across the country.... Plugged in my old MAF and she runs smooth as glass! Cleared the codes, and only the 420 is coming back. So, apparently my efforts in unwrapping the harness has paid off. :banana:

I did just now install a spacer on the downstream O2 sensor so we will see if that keeps the 420 code from coming back. :thumbup:

The weird part is that the fault that was leaving me stranded on the side of the hwy was likely caused by the new Delphi MAF I bought from Rock Auto! I guess that when I replaced it the fuse was blown so I never found it until I repaired the short.

Driving from the Cape to VA tomorrow, so I will have more to share soon!

· Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,399 Posts
He blew past the Astro ranch without even a wave....

I'm from CT but live in MD now ;)

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The thing is that I drove the FL - CT leg of the trip in one shot. About 1,000 miles without stopping other then for gas.

Iirc, I blew through MD at about 2am...

Leann is a kind soul, but I think knocking on her door at 2am to borrow a MAf might have been a stretch... Even for her. :mrgreen:

· Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,399 Posts
Sailing_Faith said:
The thing is that I drove the FL - CT leg of the trip in one shot. About 1,000 miles without stopping other then for gas.

Leann is a kind soul, but I think knocking on her door at 2am to borrow a MAf might have been a stretch... Even for her. :mrgreen:
Depends on the day :lol:

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Leeann_93 said:
Sailing_Faith said:

Depends on the day :lol:
Too kind :)

Delaware! Drove from Cape Cod to Deleware today, stopped with my dad in Newport RI for an awesome lunch...

Big news is NO CEL!!!!!!! :bouncy: :thumbup: :cheers: :rockon: :wave: :banana: :driving: :bow: :bouncy: :cheers: :thumbup:

So, recap... Was blowing fuses, disconnected MAF and fuse stopped blowing... Drove with MAF disconnected, inspected all wires in engine harness.... Then engine would run well unless I connected MAF. Installed original MAF, then back to only throwing 420 code....

Installed new downstream O2 sensor, and then a "spark plug saver"... Drove 350 miles today with no CEL!!!!!!

:bouncy:

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Meterpig said:
You drove with no MAF? Whenever I do that...no power.....wow. Brave man!
No, it frankly does not have much power... I don't really feel like it has since I put the new engine in it.... But it will go 90-95mph on the top end and running 75-80 it will get a solid 19mpg all day long.... I am ok with that.

If I drive back through Denver, I will be able to better assess the power issues.... Will keep you posted.

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So, almost 30 days into this trip and 6,383 miles later... The van is running better then it was when I left.

She has ridden the ferry out to Martha's Vineyard, and now has also ridden the "car train" on amtrack.

Very cool, this runs from Lofton, VA (near DC) to Sanford, FL (near Orlando). They load the cars on the train and make up what is the largest passenger train in the world.

On my run, there were 196 cars, and 380 people... All on one train. To go from my sleeper car to the bar car was a 20 minute walk... 9 cars forward. It was a very cool experience!

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Well, I have been in California.... just drove back to Florida and now I am headed back up the east coast and then across the northern route back to CA.....

Did the CAlifornia to Louisanna leg in 54 hours... including 4 hours lost to the ball joint fiasco. Now I am in Pensacola taking care of some stuff for my mom and will leave here soon.

Just making another lap around the country. :driving:

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I made it home safely from another one....

This one was very nearly 9,000 miles in 35 days. I did 27 states, California to Florida across Hwy 40 and 10 (through the desert down to Las Vegas)... Across to Cape Canaveral and then up to Charleston... then on to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Blueridge Parkway, and then to Shenandoah National Park... from there up to Philadelphia and then over across The Ohio Turnpike and up to Hwy 80 and then 90... eventually up to SD to hang out at Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands National Park... Little Bighorn National Monument.... Then Up to Glacier National Park, back down to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks... finally down to Reno and back across to home.

Did two oil changes on the trip and I am due for a third.... Had a balljoint fail when I hit a (moon crater sized) pothole in Flagstaff... Had two tires need replacement...

but the van did really well. :rockon: Slept most nights in the back, ran the AC through temps as high as 106f going up grades as steep as 10%... never a problem.

Creeping up on the 250k club, and absolutely could not be more happy with this van. :D

Its a great big beautiful country out there, get out and see it!

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.