Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an exceptionally poor mechanic and seem to make the simplest tasks complicated.
I'm trying to replace the gaskets on the rocker covers and have questions:
  • They move around a lot - how do I make sure they're in the right position?
  • The kit included a wee gasket that looks like an exhaust gasket or something. I can't figure out where it's meant to go.
  • I replaced the wee thingy on the right of the driver's side rocker cover and it has this little pipe on it - is it supposed to attach to something?

Grateful for any assistance you can offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
407 Posts
Hey man, I don't remember it being too difficult to install the valve cover gaskets. I think if you can see the blue squishing out around its probably good.
I don't know what the other gasket is for.
That little pipe is the main vacuum hose from the engine to the vacuum system.
The red line in this image. GM GENUINE 1530578 {#15967970} The rubber boot pops off and its pretty easy to replace. I swapped mine out for a length of 1/4" silicone vacuum hose.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Bird shake has you pretty well covered. A small dab of Grease will sometimes help hold a gasket in place while mounting the part. I never use permeatex. Then torquing the nuts slowly and evenly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Thanks guys. That diagram is perfect. I'll try to source the line off my spare engine but failing that I'll replace it. Much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts