Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S10 springs installed
馃槓
This looks stupid AF.

Kind of pissed at the hive mind, not going to lie. I was told S10 springs + stock shackles would be a MILD lift from stock.

This is a Journey's 2" puck in front with cranked torsion bars (2+1, 3" higher than stock), and new S10 springs with STOCK shackles; the journeys extended shackles were even more nuts.

I know it will settle a tiny bit but what else can I do, this looks awful.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Also, would S10 springs mess up your alignment? I pull really hard to the right under braking now, and did not before. I don't understand how replacing both leaf springs would change this....

Premium Member
Wow that鈥檚 way more lift than I-got out of mine. You could install taller pucks or run the mount on the underside of the axel housing. You would have to get rid of the clamshell to do that. What springs did you order? Changing the rear springs should have no affect on alignment, unless you got it in there all cattiewampuss. You use the word shackle, is there a way to remove the shackle or shorten them?

Reactions: MudandSuds

Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
Yeah S10 leafs will give you at least 4" of lift. That's how my van looked before I installed the 3" blocks up front.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Registered
I don't know who told you that S10 springs would give you a mild lift. The pinned thread on this message board states that S10 springs will give you between 3" to 3-1/2" of lift and everyone else seems to be seeing 4". That is not mild, and that is why I've shied away from S10 springs altogether.

S10 springs aren't even brought up in the same realm of discussion in the 2" (what I would consider mild) lift pinned thread.

Other than the rake, I think your van looks great. Maybe just do the shackles with stock van springs instead, as mentioned in the 2" mild lift thread. How to do a 2" (Budget) AWD Lift...

I wish I could give you a testimonial on those Air Bag it shackles, that are described in that thread. I have some on a shelf and haven't decided weather to install.

Premium Member
I did the same thing then swapped the 2" lift pucks and added the 3" pucks then I sold the 2" stuff on facebook marketplace. I still will have to turn up the torsion bars a small amount to level it. I am happy with it. I then added 235/75R15 tires. The only part of the whole thing I am not happy with is it will not fit in the barn now. LOL, Mark

Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know who told you that S10 springs would give you a mild lift. The pinned thread on this message board states that S10 springs will give you between 3" to 3-1/2" of lift and everyone else seems to be seeing 4". That is not mild, and that is why I've shied away from S10 springs altogether.
I have a 3" lift in front, and the S10 springs are giving me almost SEVEN GOD DAMN INCHES of gap in back. Whoever says S10 springs gives you 3-4" of lift needs to be beaten with a pushbroom from a place that does brazilians.

Maybe just do the shackles with stock van springs instead, as mentioned in the 2" mild lift thread. How to do a 2" (Budget) AWD Lift...
That's what I had before... it looked fine but towing heavier loads would rub whenever I hit a bump, hence why I decided to upgrade.

Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered drop shackles (lowering) for a chevy truck, hoping I can just drop the rear and crank up my torsion bars a bit more.

Premium Member
Something is definitely not right, I installed the same springs with the HD and got approximately 4 inches of lift, the only thing I did different was I used the lift shackles and put the springs in the highest position. Parts used: PN 22-687HD & bell tech lifting shackles #6400 And my Astro is a shorty which has less weight in the rear.

Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used 22-687 NON HD, and no lift shackles.

Registered
1997 AWD GMC Safari
It will settle more than you think, I'd give it a few weeks. Especially with 22-687 non-hd's

Registered
S10 springs installed
馃槓
This looks stupid AF.

Kind of pissed at the hive mind, not going to lie. I was told S10 springs + stock shackles would be a MILD lift from stock.

This is a Journey's 2" puck in front with cranked torsion bars (2+1, 3" higher than stock), and new S10 springs with STOCK shackles; the journeys extended shackles were even more nuts.

I know it will settle a tiny bit but what else can I do, this looks awful.
View attachment 283612
Also, would S10 springs mess up your alignment? I pull really hard to the right under braking now, and did not before. I don't understand how replacing both leaf springs would change this....
I was also looking into this option for a lift , I鈥檓 hoping it settles in or you can figure it out ,Im subscribed and good luck 馃憤!

Registered
Having a rake does affect caster/ camber, this is why you'll get differences in handling and drive-ability.
If you want to correct a load carrying issue you want HD springs to carry load 24/7 or airbags for temporary support.
I have no knowledge of the S-10 springs but IMO if those are standard duty I would expect them to settle a little and sag when you load them up leaving you with the same issue you were looking to correct.

Registered
Honestly if you're getting 7" of lift -- something is off -- there are legitimately 100s maybe 1000s of people who have used them in the rear on a 3+1 lift kit.

Don't blame the messenger -- seems your experience is the exception not the rule!!

Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
My S10 springs have given my 2000 AWD about 3" extra lift (sitting on 5" blocks)

Bear in mind (for those who don't know)... S10 spring are NOT HD springs.
They have more arch (will give you more lift).. but they are weaker than HD springs.
The result is you sit higher, but sag more under load.
You also get a smoother ride unloaded.

The HD spring has a specific application/function.. less lift, but stiffer and less sag under load.

Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Having a rake does affect caster/ camber, this is why you'll get differences in handling and drive-ability.
If you want to correct a load carrying issue you want HD springs to carry load 24/7 or airbags for temporary support.
I have no knowledge of the S-10 springs but IMO if those are standard duty I would expect them to settle a little and sag when you load them up leaving you with the same issue you were looking to correct.
My old springs were literally flat when the van was sitting there, unloaded. I have a hard time believing it will sag as much when I'm loaded up with a heavy trailer as it was before; I don't see how that's possible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts