Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My S10 springs have given my 2000 AWD about 3" extra lift (sitting on 5" blocks)

Bear in mind (for those who don't know)... S10 spring are NOT HD springs.
They have more arch (will give you more lift).. but they are weaker than HD springs.
The result is you sit higher, but sag more under load.
You also get a smoother ride unloaded.

The HD spring has a specific application/function.. less lift, but stiffer and less sag under load.
Yes, but to clarify, both are stiffer than stock Astro springs. My stock astro springs worked okay, just rubbed my rear tires a little when I hit bumps while towing the BackAstro trailer.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes, but to clarify, both are stiffer than stock Astro springs. My stock astro springs worked okay, just rubbed my rear tires a little when I hit bumps while towing the BackAstro trailer.
00 Astro HD springs: 1700 lb/spring
Regular springs: 1410 lbs/spring

00 S10 HD springs: 1750 lb/spring
regular springs: 995-1350 lbs/spring

Did you mean the worn springs on your van?

I haven't done this swap, but if you've already got them installed then it wouldn't hurt to see where it goes. Unless you can return them even though you've installed them.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I put S10 springs on my van and got 3-1/2" lift in the rear. My stock springs were weak, and I figured if I was going to replace the springs I'd go with S10's rather than stock again. It's also the most direct way to get lift without replacing shackles or front spring mounts.
On the other hand, one benefit to stock springs and new shackles or front mounts is you get adjustability. Air shocks will give you that adjustability too.

One thing I will say is that the S10 springs paired with LT tires gives a superb ride...firm, responsive, very little body roll but still comfortable. I tow a boat and wanted to be able to have a full load of gear in the van while towing, and this is the perfect setup for me. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat, and the devil is in the details. It's just a matter of figuring out which way is right for you.

Oh, and I think your van looks awesome! Not stupid at all in my opinion. And I felt the same as you when I did mine, it does take some getting used to, and it will settle down a bit. But I think yours looks great just as it is! Give it a month of driving and post your feelings then, I'm interested if your opinion changes.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
S10 springs installed
😐
This looks stupid AF.

Kind of pissed at the hive mind, not going to lie. I was told S10 springs + stock shackles would be a MILD lift from stock.

This is a Journey's 2" puck in front with cranked torsion bars (2+1, 3" higher than stock), and new S10 springs with STOCK shackles; the journeys extended shackles were even more nuts.

I know it will settle a tiny bit but what else can I do, this looks awful.
View attachment 283612
Also, would S10 springs mess up your alignment? I pull really hard to the right under braking now, and did not before. I don't understand how replacing both leaf springs would change this....
S10 springs installed
😐
This looks stupid AF.

Kind of pissed at the hive mind, not going to lie. I was told S10 springs + stock shackles would be a MILD lift from stock.

This is a Journey's 2" puck in front with cranked torsion bars (2+1, 3" higher than stock), and new S10 springs with STOCK shackles; the journeys extended shackles were even more nuts.

I know it will settle a tiny bit but what else can I do, this looks awful.
View attachment 283612
Also, would S10 springs mess up your alignment? I pull really hard to the right under braking now, and did not before. I don't understand how replacing both leaf springs would change this....
Pardon the duplication above....I just watched your YouTube video and after lifting your front torsion bars more, it looks much more level. I think I see the issue with the discrepancy in lift height though....S10 springs will and did give you 3-4" of lift, and that's what you got. You stated that you have 7" of lift, showing the distance between the top of the rear tire and the fender at 7". To accurately measure lift, you need to have the van on a level surface and measure from the ground to the fender both before and after the lift. That distance should increase by 3 1/2" after the lift, which looks like what you got. Yes, you have a 7" gap from wheel to fender, which is 3 1/2" more than you started with. And that's what was advertised on this site. Sorry you are unhappy, but just want to clarify for anyone reading this thread.
Once you go to S10 springs there is no easy way to lower the rear end. Stock springs and adjustable shackles or air shocks are a better solution for a mild or adjustable lift.

Once again, I think your van looks awesome in the YouTube video....maybe it will grow on you!

Link to YouTube video referenced above....

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,037 Posts
When I did mine -- hive mind was it'll do 4" lift in the rear. Not sure where that changed -- but the S10 springs seriously lift the rear of the van.
I thought this was common knowledge/advice, 3.5" to 4".

Still wondering where people were saying that S10 springs were for a 'mild' lift, they have some serious arch to them.

·
Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is it possible the leafsprings were installed backwards (see note below about long side/28" forward)?
How to do a 2+1 (3") AWD Lift...
No, long side is facing forward. Triple checked. Also I can see the part numbers on my springs, and my invoice. These are the 22-687s from sdtruckspring.

·
Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Pardon the duplication above....I just watched your YouTube video and after lifting your front torsion bars more, it looks much more level. I think I see the issue with the discrepancy in lift height though....S10 springs will and did give you 3-4" of lift, and that's what you got. You stated that you have 7" of lift, showing the distance between the top of the rear tire and the fender at 7". To accurately measure lift, you need to have the van on a level surface and measure from the ground to the fender both before and after the lift. That distance should increase by 3 1/2" after the lift, which looks like what you got. Yes, you have a 7" gap from wheel to fender, which is 3 1/2" more than you started with. And that's what was advertised on this site. Sorry you are unhappy, but just want to clarify for anyone reading this thread.
Once you go to S10 springs there is no easy way to lower the rear end. Stock springs and adjustable shackles or air shocks are a better solution for a mild or adjustable lift.

Once again, I think your van looks awesome in the YouTube video....maybe it will grow on you!

Link to YouTube video referenced above....

I'm annoyed, not at you, but just in general, because people are not listening. I don't know how I could be more clear, my van was ALREADY lifted 3" all around. I did the journey's 2+1 kit, so I have 2" pucks in front, and I "HAD" the extended shackles and stock leafs in back. I messed around with the extended shackles in back and the back end was ALREADY 3" above stock, the front was maybe 2.5-2.75" above stock. My van APPEARS lower because of the fender flares, they hand down past the edge of the fenders.

So let's recap: My van was already lifted 3" in back. I removed the stock springs/journeys shackles, and ordered the S10 springs, which "supposedly" provide 3-4" of lift. Given that my front was at around 3" in front already...that would mean at MOST, my rear would be 1" higher than the front. That is what I was expecting. But that is not what happened.

I showed the 7" ruler because that's the gap I have, WITH LARGER TIRES THAN STOCK. I'm rolling on 29s. Stocks are 27ish, so 2" larger diameter. With stock tires I would have 7-8" of gap in back.... that's... not 3-4" of lift!

I'm going to load the van up this week and see how it sits, if it isn't working for me I think I'm going to pull the springs and go back to what I had. Again, final time, if you have a journeys 2+1 lift (3"), s10 springs are WAY too tall, far higher than 3-4". If it was actually 3-4" it would be about perfect with the journey's 2+1 kit.

·
Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I thought this was common knowledge/advice, 3.5" to 4".

Still wondering where people were saying that S10 springs were for a 'mild' lift, they have some serious arch to them.
Yup. And that common knowledge is wrong. 3.5-4" lift with a 3" lift in front should look pretty decent. That's not what happened.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,998 Posts
My van was already lifted 3" in back. I removed the stock springs/journeys shackles, and ordered the S10 springs, which "supposedly" provide 3-4" of lift. Given that my front was at around 3" in front already...that would mean at MOST, my rear would be 1" higher than the front. That is what I was expecting. But that is not what happened.
If I understand correctly, you REMOVED the Journey's shackles and replaced ALL back to original STOCK shackles? Removed both front and rear pieces of the kit? If so, then your lift (on stock shackles) should have been 3-4" total with new S10 springs. Of course if you combined any of the two (aftermarket springs plus aftermarket shackles).. lift would be higher.

There is always a remote chance the springs (from aftermarket provider) were stamped with wrong part number?

·
Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You got it, hence why I'm ticked off & why I think the "s10 provides 3-4" of lift" is BS! Stock shackles, only change in the rear are the springs themselves, and it is WAY HIGHER than only 3-4"! If it was a 3-4" lift it should have been above even with the front.

As for the springs being wrong, I don't see it. I've measured everything but the arc, I am not sure how i would measure that now that they're installed, but you can see in my video before installing them, when they're on the ground, that the arc looks approximately 7-8", which means they're the correct springs.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I
I'm annoyed, not at you, but just in general, because people are not listening. I don't know how I could be more clear, my van was ALREADY lifted 3" all around. I did the journey's 2+1 kit, so I have 2" pucks in front, and I "HAD" the extended shackles and stock leafs in back. I messed around with the extended shackles in back and the back end was ALREADY 3" above stock, the front was maybe 2.5-2.75" above stock. My van APPEARS lower because of the fender flares, they hand down past the edge of the fenders.

So let's recap: My van was already lifted 3" in back. I removed the stock springs/journeys shackles, and ordered the S10 springs, which "supposedly" provide 3-4" of lift. Given that my front was at around 3" in front already...that would mean at MOST, my rear would be 1" higher than the front. That is what I was expecting. But that is not what happened.

I showed the 7" ruler because that's the gap I have, WITH LARGER TIRES THAN STOCK. I'm rolling on 29s. Stocks are 27ish, so 2" larger diameter. With stock tires I would have 7-8" of gap in back.... that's... not 3-4" of lift!

I'm going to load the van up this week and see how it sits, if it isn't working for me I think I'm going to pull the springs and go back to what I had. Again, final time, if you have a journeys 2+1 lift (3"), s10 springs are WAY too tall, far higher than 3-4". If it was actually 3-4" it would be about perfect with the journey's 2+1 kit.

I get it....its no fun to end up with something different than what you expected, especially after all the work money and time invested. I did the S10 lift starting from stock, and have the same outcome you had. And yes, it looked like more than I expected too. Here a pic from right after I did the lift, it has settled a bit since (29" tires too). Also this is with no seats inside....put those seats in and it will make a difference! I measured (from grade to wheel well) before and after, and got a 3.5" lift AFTER settling. It looks almost identical to what you got. I'm not trying to argue with your opinion, I just don't think that you actually got a 7" lift. (from stock) It's hard to compare when going from a Journeys kit to S10's. The only reason I'm posting is for the sake of anyone wanting to do the S10 lift and reading this....I think you will realize a 3-4" lift from stock...pretty much every time. Add the bigger tires and it looks like a lot.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
99 AWD BadAstro
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I get what you're saying and I guess I was using the term wrong when I said "7 inches of lift", I guess I mean 7" of wheel gap. What I was expecting was a ride at or just above what I had before with the stock springs/shackles. Maybe 5-6" would have been more appropriate. I mean look at the gap I had in back with the stock springs/extended shackles:

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

The S10 springs 'supposedly' should have been close to that height. They're not at all. Maybe the issue is my stock springs were extremely saggy/flat.... so the resulting 3-4" lift compared to GOOD CONDITION stock springs is so much higher?

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,998 Posts
Well I agree.. those rear springs are too tall.
Only good solution is to raise the front even higher!
(but I still think something is not right)

I'm up about 8"s (on 30" tires)... and I invite you to join me!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Yeah, I think there were some saggy springs involved here with the Journeys lift. I hope you get it figured out! I agree with Musicman...the answer is raise the front!:D You have a great looking van, I'm jealous! Also, one of the best Astro/Safari Youtube channels I've seen...keep it up!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
FWIW, mine looked about that high when I first installed them, settled down quite a bit, like a couple inches. Ended up with just bit over 3 inches of lift, which should be about right for your 2+1 inches of lift in front. I'd wait a bit and see if yours settle before throwing more labor and energy at it. YMMV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wanted to lift my van, bought journeys front and rear shackles, originally did 2" spacers in the front, then did the HD rear leaf springs from SD spring, also added an extra leaf taking them up to 2200 lbs, I believe, since I carry lots of weight, had the rake at first, ended up pulling the 2" spacers and going with the 3", I'll l try to post a picture here. Debated on the s10 spring originally but Mike from Journeys talked me out of it, said it would be too high... I have 235 70 15 tires and mine is a rear wheel drive. They do settle a bit, not sure how much... I measured before and after, don't have that handy, but 3" on the front and on the back I'd guess... I like flat too... I feel your pain, thank you Mike for talking me out of the s10 springs. Personally I like the height, can you go to 3" front subframe spacers? Assuming 2" pucks mentioned are these just shorter? Hope it works out! Astroratsun
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2004 Safari RWD, 2002 Astro AWD
257 Posts
With all these height changes did any of you guys measured the angles on the drive shaft to see if they got out of long life range.?
Did you guys have to change the shocks again to allow the extra travel as the springs went on to keep them from upping out?

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
10 Posts
I wanted to lift my van, bought journeys front and rear shackles, originally did 2" spacers in the front, then did the HD rear leaf springs from SD spring, also added an extra leaf taking them up to 2200 lbs, I believe, since I carry lots of weight, had the rake at first, ended up pulling the 2" spacers and going with the 3", I'll l try to post a picture here. Debated on the s10 spring originally but Mike from Journeys talked me out of it, said it would be too high... I have 235 70 15 tires and mine is a rear wheel drive. They do settle a bit, not sure how much... I measured before and after, don't have that handy, but 3" on the front and on the back I'd guess... I like flat too... I feel your pain, thank you Mike for talking me out of the s10 springs. Personally I like the height, can you go to 3" front subframe spacers? Assuming 2" pucks mentioned are these just shorter? Hope it works out! Astroratsun View attachment 283838
Looks really good! Did you go with the 3/1 or 4/1 SD leaf pack before adding the extra leaf? I currently have the journeys 2"+1 as well but I want to go to the 3"+1. My leaf springs are shot, so i figure now would be a good time to go to the 3" block and replace the leaf springs.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts