Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 668 Posts

·
Banned
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT:
I decided I'd change the title of this thread and suggest:

Post pics of YOUR Tools. Take a snapshot of your Harbor Freights, Huskys, SnapOns, TrueValues...Whatever you've got. Show em!

... :rockon:

Here's what 5 bills bought me on craigslist -

Top cab "StackOn". Middle and bottom cabs, "TengTool" from Sweden. Ball bearing slides. Big, soft rubber tires on the ball bearing casters. It rolls really smooth, even full of a ton of iron. The milk crate, plastic tub and cardboard box to the right of the tool chest were also filled with tools.

Nine dial indicators, including two really tiny ones. All made in Germany, Austria or Sweden. Couple dozen interchangable bases, mounts, adaptors

SnapOn socket rail (the smaller one) vs HarbFreight rails. I can't tell any difference in quality at all.

This where I'll keep my Skruvmejslars

And just below that, my Torx Mejslars

I'm embarassed that my chinkie tools from HF are now in a drawer with these Swedish works of art.

I'm guessing it took a lot of torque to break that 32mm box end made of forged Swedish steel. If I had a grinder, I'd make that end of the wrench into something like a pickle fork or pry bar. Maybe a cup holder aligning tool

Phone numbers of Swedish tool dealers and other Swedish businesses, in case I need help working on a Volvo.

LumpSklar die Toolen Meissklar

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Really surprised that you bought the lot...there is a Ford decal on the box !

OTOH, this reminds me of a saying: If you dip your hand in a buckets of s_____t often enough, once in a while you'll dip up a diamond.

Uncle Bob

(This time you got a diamond)

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Hell of a deal Lumpy :thumbup:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Great job on the cl find, i bet your the only one in phoniex that has a lifted camo astro that gets worked on with swedish tools! :lol:

·
Banned
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reposting to my orig post and requesting -
Show Us Yer Tools!

I'd dig seeing a long running thread with all kinds of photos on tools. Expensive tools. Cheap tools. Home made tools (I esp like those problem solvers).

So whether you've got a $15 Harbor Freight socket set or a $25000 Snap On chest or you've welded up a left handed flux capacitor bracket wrench - Take a pic and post it!

:banana-gotpics:

Lump

·
Registered
944 Posts
Lumpy said:
Munken said:
Lumpy said:
LumpSklar die Toolen Meissklar
:rofl: What did you try to say? :rolling:
I havent the slightest ideaski. Just goofin with Swenglish.

You know anything about TengTools, Munken?

Lump
I do, I happen to own 2 teng tool socket sets. The can take a ton of abuse I can tell you that, I once stuck a 8' piece of pipe on a breaker bar. It was either the bolt snapping or the tool and the tool is still in active duty, the bolt has passed on to wherever broken bolts go :lol:

If I remember correct Bert bought a couple of sets a few years ago. They make good tools for a very good price.

·
Registered
153 Posts
teng tools are very good, ive got a fair bit of there kit like sockets,spanners,screw drivers etc and they come with a good warranty similar to snap on with less hassle lol. ill have to get a pic of my tools and garage.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Geeze, no takers ! C'mon, Lumpy had the guts to show you his... Who will take up the challenge and show us yours ?

Uncle Bob (hee, hee) I swear, I'll kiss butt in Macey's window !

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My tools are completely askew in the back part of my kitchen (no garage or shed) and in my old truck toolbox sittin in the yard. I'm a redneck mechanic who can't stop working on stuff. Are you sure you want pics of THAT? :oops:

·
Banned
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the same messy workbench above, now cleaned up...Just for you

I try and use stuff I find or have given to me for as much as I can. The desk, chrome food service shelves, swivel monitor platform, copy holder, hot glue gun, power strips and magnifier light were all someone else's discards. Most of it collected on "bulk trash day" which we have every 90 days in Phoenix. Residents are encouraged to put out their discarded building materials, furniture, appliances etc at the curb for a week while others come by and pick it up for re-use. What doesn't get picked up by other residents gets picked up by the city solid waste dept and landfilled, sent to recycle or disposed of appropriately in the case of stuff like paint and cleaners.

Continuing the tour of my recycled man cave -

This is a "hand tapper". It was in someone's trash as well. Upper part holds a steel tap, lower vice thingie holds the work to be tapped. The gizmo allows a very straight angle on the tap while you turn it in with the crank.

This is a 40 year old Dremel. I built a router base for it from clear lexan that, of course, someone had discarded. I use this Dremel just for routing because it has larger bearings than the newer style Dremels. It can withstand side loads a lot better than the ones with lighter bearings.

Here is my drilling area. Large Craftsman drill press with laser sighting attachment. Smaller Dremel in it's own mini drill press stand. They both sit on a discarded wooden ice box. I store bits and attachments in the inside of the ice box. The wooden box mounted to the wall with the open face was someone's trash. It holds several hundred drill bits and router bits, and a couple hundred Dremel bits.

A little something that needs mounting on my van. The rocket sits on the rails. The rails are elevated and descended by a cast off elec screwdriver driving an allthread rod.

My MIG welder. It's sitting on a discarded old fashioned shopping cart. Behind and to the left of the welder are a pair of steel T shaped welding stands. Needless to say, they were someone's trash. Difficult to see, but below the welding stands, is an "antenna mount base" that another ham built and gave to me. It's a 24 " square piece of 3/8 steel, welded to some gussets and a upright tilt piece. As an antenna base it's designed to bolt to a sloped roof, then the upright piece can be placed at whatever angle needed to make the antenna vertical. I plan on recycling it for use as a floor stand for something like a bench grinder. The actual bench grinder stand on the right is from Harbor Freight. It's not really strong enough to hold any tools. So it's currently holding a 26 lb Priority Mail pkg full of Astro Parts.

Here is my bench. It's frame is some sections of that same chrome food service shelving. I've welded some scrap steel to it on the top. The large black things are wooden 8x8 fence posts (someone's discards). The front 8x8 is bolted to the top. The rear piece is free to move. The two short pieces lock them together AND they make a sub base for the big 24" square 3/8 steel piece. In use, I can pull the short wooden pieces out, separate the large wood pieces, then hold a piece of wood, pipe or anything else between the 8x8s, clamping them together with carpenter's bar clamps. When I'm working on something painted or for some other reason requires a soft surface, I lay a piece of carpet on top of it all. I have a box of several hundred discarded T shirts. I use those to lay down when I'm working on something greasy. When they get too gunked up, I wash or discard them. In one of the pics you can see a rusty steel frame device that's wrapped around one of the wood timbers. That steel piece is a subframe for my various vices. The vice bolts to that, then that slips over the wood thing and everything is held very tight. Everything in and on the bench, including the stuff on the bottom shelf, is someone's trash.

My scroll saw. This I purchased. But the stand it's sitting on, and the wooden chinese jorgie clamps, are someone's discards.

Some kind of stereo cabinet with glass doors. Now holds spray paint, window cleaner, very large gauge wire (like for big 3 upgrades and similar). It's sitting on top of a 2 drawer solid oak file cabinet, one of TWO that someone threw away.

Sewing machine, foot locker, drywall buckets. All discards

Bucket-0-BFH

Lil' Jumpers with alligator clips

This is my table saw. I purchased that. You're looking at the SIDE of it in the stored position. It's a craftsman with cast tables. With the press of a foot pedal, it folds up into the size and shape shown here. Rolls on wheels and stores in a narrow space. When unfolded it's a crosscut/rip saw, tilting blade, two fences, miter gauge, router table, just like a big saw, but ultra portable.

Same saw and my "Salesman Discourager", 00 buck, modified cyl choke, 100 yds, Remington 870, fired by my 108 lb girlfriend.

Tons-O-Carpet scraps. When working under my van, I lay down carpet everywhere instead of using a creeper. I can roll around on the carpet, sockets and nuts/bolts don't roll away and oil drips get caught by the carpet. I have so much of it, and it gets replentished every 90 days at the next bulk trash day, that I can afford to throw it away when it gets too oily or if grinding imbeds a bunch of metal flakes.

That's part of my man cave and my mostly home made tool collection.

Show me YOURS!... :ty:

Lump

·
Super Moderator
14,360 Posts
My drywall tools and carpentry tools are buried under the GTO. Everything else scattered all over the face of the earth. Bodywork tools with the chevelle. You have seen the lift my chevelle on and the Rotiseree the charger on. And in my basement shop HVAC tools are on or near the black shelves.House painting stuff buried under the shelves. Yard diggin tools near the compressor. Axes shovels etc. But for the meat of this topic the mechanical stuff is scattered on the floor in and under the van. On the workbench. Tool cabinet pretty bare right now. And in my usual fashion I blurred the pictures. Faster shutter speed I counter with blazing fast movement.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 668 Posts