Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
My drywall tools and carpentry tools are buried under the GTO. Everything else scattered all over the face of the earth. Bodywork tools with the chevelle. You have seen the lift my chevelle on and the Rotiseree the charger on. And in my basement shop HVAC tools are on or near the black shelves.House painting stuff buried under the shelves. Yard diggin tools near the compressor. Axes shovels etc. But for the meat of this topic the mechanical stuff is scattered on the floor in and under the van. On the workbench. Tool cabinet pretty bare right now. And in my usual fashion I blurred the pictures. Faster shutter speed I counter with blazing fast movement.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
Shad0wXCalibur said:
.......what in the hell kinda air compressor is that? Looks like it could do 200 Psi constant!
The guy we go to for sand blasting has one like that. Runs a fire hose sized hose for his sand blaster. He can sand a car body or frame to the metal in a couple hours.

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
There you go Lumpy my sons collection what he has not lost or broken. He had a paint gun somewhere. Compressor is ripped in half there.

Got cupholders in his booster seat. Crys when the van broken. Promising young man up and coming.

Almost cried as hard as I did when the van went down. He is young he will learn what is important. Cry harder.

:crying: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

James tools.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
I have had this a few months. It was in the junk on the floor. Cincinnati Milacron is a machine shop. Somebody I knew got it somehow when they re-tooled. I got it from them. I cleaned painted and mounted it today.
My old one I put a bar on it tightening it and it was a pretzel. I ripped one of the jaws in half. That wont happen again. I could crush coal into diamonds with this baby. I love 100 year old tools they were just made better.

vice.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
FrugalAstro said:
Yeah, I'd be all over that vise if I found it in the junk!!

My big 'ol el-cheapo chinese grade cast iron vise busted where the movable jaw threads into it.
Guy told my buddy 35 bucks. He said he thinks he would take less. Go look at it. When I seen it I about ripped my pocket off getting the money out. He said why didn't you offer him 25 and see what he said. It was worth every dime I will never need another vice or my son for that matter. I am not a haggler it is worth what the man ask or it isn't.

I ripped the threads out of the worm gear on the one I just put in the scrap pile to. I was happily crushing things with the new one earlier testing it. I aint breaking this one.

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
paulo57509 said:
Other than the torque wrench, these are the most useless tools I have in the garage.The transmissions that these tools are used for are ancient relics.
Yes but they are so cool. I have a collection of old stuff I don't use. Seriously ancient stuff. Like the oil can they use to oil the tinman in the Wizard of Oz. Alternator testers. Points screwdriver with the spring middle.

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
Wow they gonna love you. Now every time you fill you bottles. Your gong to get another old nasty bottle and paint it for them and put stickers on them. Hell exchange bottles for 50 years and all the bottles in your 50 mile radius will be ready to paint again.

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
Leeann_93 said:
Bought a Husky Air Hammer at Home Depot tonight - a friend gave me a gift card in thanks. Got a 3-piece set to go with it; will get more attachments later. I did get an extra spring, too...
Your going to love this one. So very very handy. Harbor freight has cheap sets of ends for it.

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
Well Fred Flintstone finally got fed up with dealing with a computer with a electric tester and internet searches.
So I went to George Jetsons electronics and ordered a tool.

Bi-directional scanner, with web support and updates for life. Plug the scanner in the computer and it will print the report. Go online it automatically takes the codes and deciphers them and gives a list of faults and things to fix. It works on OBD 1 and 2. Has manufacturer codes. Reads trans and BCM codes. Does smog test. A bag of adapters for the older models pre OBD 2.

So I got a new expensive toy to play with. I paid for overnite shipping so I hope it is here monday.

scan tool.png

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
Leeann_93 said:
That's MSRP on the manufacturer's site. It's about $200 on Amazon.
I paid 220 with tax and overnight shipping once I did my internet wizardy and used a discount code for ordering online. 300 minus 35% plus tax and shipping. Which I opted for Not now But Right now shipping. Not the sometime in the future free shipping.

The 3120 is 200 bucks everywhere. The 3140 is 300, this is the one I getting. They look exactly the same. It the bi-directional option that makes the cost go up. Use the scanner to open windows and turn on fuel pumps when testing. Enter turn off options such as evap and EGR so the light don't come on.
If I got to get one. Get one that does what I want it to do. The old go big or stay home saying.

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
It just arrived. So I be reading instructions, installing the program. It only works with windows. Good thing I dual booted in my laptop, because I mainly use Umbuntu these days. Hard drive crashed licencing issues Microsoft are thieves kinda thing.

But it sure looks nice and is heavy. Got all kinds of crazy adapters. I be the rest of the day figuring this thing out it looks like.

IMAG2088.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
sixsix said:
You need a "Guinea Van" - besides your perfectly running one?

Mike " It's not really an Italian Van " in Ky.
Oh I been Scanner Danner playing with my toy. I already scanned everything in sight with engine lights around here.

Van has a persistent EGR code tho.......................................

·
Super Moderator
14,399 Posts
97cargocrawler said:
Can you actually cycle the ABS module with that particular scanner? I have one that i bought several years ago, reads codes, clears codes, tell me what codes mean and shows realtime junk as well as emissions status and reset of the monitors...looks just like yours but I don't have the model # off hand....I'm pretty certain mine won't cycle the ABS module.
It is supposed to be able to do that. I still haven't got that far tho.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts