Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
641 - 660 of 671 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Steel stringers with some angle stock welded for each tread. Built up tripple layer of Baltic birch plywood as a core. 3/4 white oak halves fit over the cores. Splined joints so they are just glued together. I can't take all the credits.

PXL_20210625_163448025.jpg

PXL_20210625_164047932.jpg

·
Registered
995 Posts
Picked up a Thule ski box at the dump last week. It had some damage but looked savable. Bought a plastic welder/stapler online for $28. This tool works great!

PXL_20210801_144040820.jpg

PXL_20210801_144047577.jpg

PXL_20210801_144053958.jpg

PXL_20210801_145358911.jpg

I will make some ABS slurry to waterproof it and drip some crazy glue in the cracks from the outside.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I need to weld about 100ft of bead in near 100deg ambient temps in the next few weeks so I decided my welder might need some extra cooling power.

20210811_205600.jpg

20210811_212107.jpg

It probably won't improve duty cycle much but it should help reduce cooling time if I reach the temp cutoff. We'll see! It certainly looks and sounds cooler.

·
Registered
260 Posts
97cargocrawler said:
Price filled out the door $357. Why can't they slap some paint on these bottles? I mean these are supposed to be certified bottles. The acetylene bottle was rusty and had a dent that I didn't notice until I was cleaning it at home. What a joke. Airgas is not some fly by night shop and they certainly aren't cheap.
Pardon the necropost, but I have some insight into this matter. I work at a gas and welding supplies distributor. Bottles don't get routinely painted and looking beautiful for a few reasons--mainly that the bottles will get skinned up and knocked around as soon as they leave the store. And if you buy "new bottles," what you are really paying for is a new test date; no matter how pretty the first bottle you get is, that bottle will be gone and never seen again the next time you exchange it. But I understand the preference for neatness. When I take argon, argon-CO2, oxygen, and acetylene bottles home for my own use, I select nice looking ones because I have to look at them in the workshop.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts

I understand. I also believe the manager there selected the worse bottles just for me because I look and feel like a chump in the AirGas shop. I'm just a hobby welder and being in there is a bit intimidating and I'm sure it shows :mrgreen:

I'm glad I painted those however, since I'm still looking at them 6 years later!

·
Registered
2003 Astro LT RWD
148 Posts
20210825_135614.jpg

Two of my favorites. The upper is a reversible ratchet I use once a year but is so necessary for reaching screws in, say, the dashboard near the windshield. The lower is of course a wire stripper which I finally bought after 50 years of using knives and wire cutters. I'm still thinking I didn't need it but I do enjoy it. Doesn't everyone enjoy a stripper occasionally?

·
Registered
260 Posts
97cargocrawler said:
I understand. I also believe the manager there selected the worse bottles just for me because I look and feel like a chump in the AirGas shop. I'm just a hobby welder and being in there is a bit intimidating and I'm sure it shows.
That does happen. It is best for individuals to deal with independent distributors whenever possible. Airgas, Praxair, and Matheson will overcharge you unnecessarily unless you already have a good relationship. Independents care more about individuals. Global companies give breaks to get big corporate account then stick it to you to make up margin.

And those little acetylene MC bottles go through a lot. They are all the time rolling around in truck beds and service vans, being carried into and out of buildings, used in the field, etc.

Bottles in general live a very long service life. Some are more than 100 years old and still in circulation. I have seen swastikas from old Linde bottles that were in Germany before WWII. Bottles live long and really get around.

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
GasTungstenArc said:
97cargocrawler said:
I understand. I also believe the manager there selected the worse bottles just for me because I look and feel like a chump in the AirGas shop. I'm just a hobby welder and being in there is a bit intimidating and I'm sure it shows.
That does happen. It is best for individuals to deal with independent distributors whenever possible. Airgas, Praxair, and Matheson will overcharge you unnecessarily unless you already have a good relationship. Independents care more about individuals. Global companies give breaks to get big corporate account then stick it to you to make up margin.

And those little acetylene MC bottles go through a lot. They are all the time rolling around in truck beds and service vans, being carried into and out of buildings, used in the field, etc.

Bottles in general live a very long service life. Some are more than 100 years old and still in circulation. I have seen swastikas from old Linde bottles that were in Germany before WWII. Bottles live long and really get around.
Interesting posts - I remember CC's posts back then when he taught himself to be a "Damn Good Welder". I wondered why tanks are always so terrible looking ( I am on Oxy off n' on for 6 years now- small & lg bottles ) and then I worked in machining / fabrication and around welding for decades.
BTW, CC posts are ... well, usually can't go wrong reading, studying, taking notes... etc.

I thought and I only have seen most people take real good care of these tanks.
Have to say - I always wondered ..."what the hell happened here - where's it been"?

And the, "nobody paints them - it's a waste ..." statement is so funny - because I asked around - NOBODY paints them - years ago - no one cared.
Never did see anything happen to one or no one I talked to could figure out how they got that way either.

By the way - hasn't anyone seen 'Jaws' ( I did not know it's how tanks get scarred )
... or the Gov't.: ( and I paraphrase a bit )
"Knock the Head off and it goes thru that Brick Wall" Film.
We had to watch that gov't. 'guy' Twice while I was in the Marines.

97cargocrawler said:
I understand. I also believe the manager there selected the worse bottles just for me because I look and feel like a chump in the AirGas shop. I'm just a hobby welder and
being in there is a bit intimidating and I'm sure it shows.
Same here when I went in and asked for a can of Air Cylinder Paint and a #11 or #13 faceplate glass for the Eclipse - so the wife wouldn't burn her fucking eyeballs out.

They said ( in a real good fake Guatamala 'clicky' accent ), "air cylinder paint"?... we doonne need no "air cylinder" paints.
He went on to explain that it is traditional that tanks of any sort are NOT painted ..."Except" from the factory.

I am going down and out to check all my Linde tanks for Nazi symbols and stuff...

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,284 Posts
In the navy in the 1960's, at a submarine repair dock in San Diego, gas bottles were being unloaded from a truck. An unsecured CO2 bottle on the dock was knocked over. The neck landed on the bollard on the edge of the dock, and broke it off.
The bottle became a torpedo. It headed off down the pier, hit the side of a double cab Dodge pick-up truck and they both went off the end of the pier.
That was some lesson!
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
My last visit to Airgas I put my 30cf bottle on the counter. The manager let out such a shreak you'd have thunk I slammed it down on his junk. Scared the shit outta me. Seems less safe making a loud noise when someone creates an unsafe situation. Dickhead could have just taken it right away instead of scolding me. My opinion is such that if the place is safe any moron walking through the door should not be able to change that.

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,411 Posts
LOL
Seems there are wuuses everywhere...

Yeah, right... think about how stupid those statements sound.
Can't bring a certain bottle of welding whatever inside or to a certain location...

Well, how do you get things done on location ? - or am I totally missing something here ?

Welding is just a trade - not brain surgery or rocket science...
- but it is a tough job and nothing to be trifled with. Argon, Bi-metal, SS, Alum...
- still, they have my heart under their hood ( Air Conditioned or not ).

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,157 Posts
Got my Christmas presents today. Had to open the rear hatch of the Astro to see them. Now I get to spend a few hours cleaning off the top of my toolchest so I can put the upper cabinets in place…

Shipping box Packing materials Car Package delivery Motor vehicle

Oh - that’s my daughter In the upper right. She was making sure my husband had strapped the car seat base in properly before she brought out our grandson so we could drive over to my BILs for Christmas dinner.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,277 Posts
You will have fun filling those up.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,157 Posts
I’m afraid I already have enough stuff that doesn’t fit in the current boxes to fill both up…or, at least, I can get close.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,277 Posts
I know the feeling ALL to well. 2 full upper/lower roll cabinets and 2 benches looking for a 3rd.
The specialty tools are going to fill yet another cabinet.

641 - 660 of 671 Posts