Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so once i seen it typed that some of the 80s astros had a barn style door on the side instead of a slider. is this fact or mistype? is there a picture someone can share with me or am i SOL. i ask because i dont want to lift my van any higher but would like to use bigger than 37s on it. any more and the slider wont open. help me with ideas or kill my dreaming please. im going insane

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
How about modifying your slider like hollowing it out at the bottom ? It would be alot less work then trying to put barn doors on , doors are HEAVY!!!!
Barn doors are nice , all my first vans had barn doors and i always wanted a slider until i got one

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not just the inside that will hit. its the whole bottom including the outer shell and body.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i want to. those are 37s and the body clears them completely. i could go to 39.5 and not hit but the door would open if i was only parked perfectly flat in the lot and have no off articulation in the van.

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
What about getting a windowless slider, chopping in half. Maybe you could use front door hinges. If you got 2 you could use the front edge of one to trim out the edge of the rear door. Then make the rear door over lap the front door seam. Then you could have a nice clean factory edge and you'd just need a lip on the front door to attach weather striping to.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Gary said:
I know of a guy from Sweden who built one with a single barn side door.Asked for more info,but he never got back to me.
i'm with gary on this one i saw the same post on the other ASTRO SAFARI VANS forum :whistle: the member name was brutalis and the topic was icelandic astro's it only shows one picture and a brief description of what he did, but hey it may help.

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Gonna need to stiffen up the A pillar with some 1/2" plate. :lol:

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Your girlfriend will want to know why you always have to park at the far end of the parking lot.

But to address your original question, YES. Many years ago I used to work for a company that primarily used Astro vans in the fleet and there was an older van in the fleet that had side swing-out doors. Nobody wanted to drive it because the slider was preferable in some of the tight spaces where we had to park while on the jobsite. Those were the only 2 Astro vans that I've ever seen with the swing out doors. I wish I could find a picture or give you more information but for right now I can't back this up with anything other than my memory.

·
Registered
98 Posts
how about using what you've already got and making a gullwing...? there's 2 ways you can do that - keep the whole shell ad lift it up off of the roof, or split it in half lengthwise and put hinges on the top and bottom, and it'll open both ways...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unrreal said:
Gary said:
I know of a guy from Sweden who built one with a single barn side door.Asked for more info,but he never got back to me.
i'm with gary on this one i saw the same post on the other ASTRO SAFARI VANS forum :whistle: the member name was brutalis and the topic was icelandic astro's it only shows one picture and a brief description of what he did, but hey it may help.
found it and read all about it. kinda involved but i guess what i am doing is not normal mods anyway. maybe some on the drawing board tonight

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
Barn doors on the side would be cool I think.

Bigger then 37" tires......... :bow:

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
From what I remember, I think that the first pic is closer to how the doors were arranged. It was a 60/40 door and handle was on the right side (as with the G-series vans). And being that it was an early model, it was a shorty and the hinges were exposed.

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
How about just making the slider open up as one big suicide door. :think:

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
hinge it at the bottom and use a winch attached to some chain and drop it open like a castle door!put a smooth skin on it and you can just slide right down, hehe :rofl:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts