Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Astro V6
163 Posts
Years ago I had a Chevy van and wide tires that would hit the sliders.Chevy or someone else made a longer chrome side door bar option that pushed the back end of the door out further to clear the tires...when slider clearance was a problem...Since it is in/on a track, and pivoting off the front bracket roller,it really didn't matter if the door stuck out a bit farther in the back end..the roller stayed on the track and rolled farther forward is all in the closed position.
Do they still sell those?..if tire clearance is the issue..

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Did u ever get those pictures?
Joe hasn't been here since 2013,,
and to you Guy I fabbed a bracket that replaced one for the back center roller that worked. It did just as you mentioned, the back side of the door was 1 1/2" - 2" farther out but if it were closed improperly it would cause an outward ding in the body. Wasn't worth the effort IMO.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
These are just a few pics that I have. I didn't like the way it torqued the roller bearing in the middle track, being longer it increased the load on the door. I started w/ a longer bar, shortened to as little as 2 3/4', different bends and offsets until I came to the one you see in the last photo. tried it out for a couple weeks and decided it was not for me.
I still have the part with the modified door pins.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood
Tape measure Rectangle Office ruler Tool Font
Wood Office ruler Ruler Office supplies Writing implement

Edit-
funny, I replied to a question from "Jimnick21" and his username and post are gone. I'm guessing that the link in his signature for "barn doors" got him banned.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts