Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just beginning to make a camper van out of my 2000 Astro AWD. I used to be in the RV business just for the record. There is lots of room for fresh and gray water tanks under the van if I can relocate the spare and install a smaller muffler. Any suggestions on a smaller muffler that will work?

·
Super Moderator
6,966 Posts
Welcome aboard!

My van needed an exhaust system when I first got it. Money was tight, so I took what I could get. A buddy offered me the exhaust from an E150 van. It didn't take much to get it to fit. It didn't fit well, but it fit. I've since replaced the intermediate and tailpipes, but the muffler is still there almost 14 years later. It is significantly smaller than a stock Astro muffler. I noticed it is the same muffler that was on the 85 F150 I had prior. It is very quiet and seems to flow well enough, even behind a 350.

Reactions: ScottAdie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard!

My van needed an exhaust system when I first got it. Money was tight, so I took what I could get. A buddy offered me the exhaust from an E150 van. It didn't take much to get it to fit. It didn't fit well, but it fit. I've since replaced the intermediate and tailpipes, but the muffler is still there almost 14 years later. It is significantly smaller than a stock Astro muffler. I noticed it is the same muffler that was on the 85 F150 I had prior. It is very quiet and seems to flow well enough, even behind a 350.
Thanks, I'll look into that. I expect to have to modify the pipe and I want the exhaust to exit in front of the rear tire to clear the area behind the axle of the tailpipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Tigers put the grey water tank where the spare tire was as well, they kept the stock exhaust though.
Thanks, that area is a very usable space and I will be exiting the exhaust ahead of the rear tire to make the area completely clear. My plan is to have fresh, gray and black water storage beneath. Gotta have a place to store porta-potti waste so I need three usable areas.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,459 Posts
Summit racing sells there own version of the turbo muffler, its called the fully welded turbo. Not loud free flowing and not expensive. It's maybe 15 inches long comes in different pipe sizes. I believe its 35.00 bucks. I have one on my 89 Astro.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,210 Posts
Reactions: Bikley

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,210 Posts
That is the latest in chrome control on your computer. The image displays fine on mine.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,078 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts