Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2003 RWD Astro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Im looking for a source on an ignition lock cylinder that comes with the lock tumbler pins to reprogram it to accept my old key.

I’ve checked every autoparts store for miles and they only sell the assembled cylinders.

· Registered
92 stro base
357 Posts
I think you can take a cylinder to a locksmith and they can reset the pins. I had one my way offer to do that for me in a situation with a bike where my key wasn't setting the pins correctly, but I discovered that there was a piece of the original cylinder either damaged or worn to the point the key just wasn't sitting in straight. I just apply some lateral pressure on the key when turning now instead. It's one of those nice tricks where only I can start it.

· Registered
92 stro base
357 Posts
Yeah, the problem with that is they charge 150$ for maybe a 20 minute job. I’d rather just do it myself lol, its pretty simple.
Understandable. I don't remember what the price I was told. I know it wasn't that much, but I would have been bringing him just the ignition, not the whole bike. It was roughly what I can buy a new ignition for, but not have to change the gas cap and seat lock to keep them keyed the same.
I guess you would just take the assembled cylinder and switch the pins. Thinking about it now, it can't be all that diffficult, and I'm sure someone posted videos on Youtube to show how.

· Registered
2003 RWD Astro
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup exactly. You pretty much just drop in the matching pins, put the springs on top of them, then the little holder plate, crimp it down and your good to go.

Heres a good video that I’m using as reference incase anyone else is interested.

· Registered
92 stro base
357 Posts

· Registered
1,576 Posts

· Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,534 Posts
Just make sure to contact whoever you order from and verify that it has the pins needed, often they come with keys and not the pins/wafers other than what is installed and work with the supplied keys, even if they are using old/generic pictures for their items that may include the pins/wafers in the picture as separate items.

It should also be noted that there are various OEM suppliers that GM used to make the lock cylinders, so that means that just because you have wafers/springs/retainer from one does not mean that it will fit another even though the assembled lock itself will fit and work. The internal parts can be different depending on who made it, same with the aftermarket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts