Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oddly enough I have done this job before but I now am doing it again. I sorta recall removing the heat shields to get at the plugs is that needed?
Any other tips on this awful job?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not recall removing any heat shields to R&R my plugs. That being said, I definitely recall 3 or 4 different access points (interior/doghouse, wheelwell, underbody) in order to make it happen. It's really not that bad of a job. I'd do the Astro 4.3 plugs anyday over my Outback 3.6

·
Registered
225 Posts
A good selection of socket extensions and wobblys helps, and like others mentioned, find the right access point for each plug. I remember pulling my front wheels off, may not have been necessary, but gives you a little more room to work and sight the plugs at various angles. I changed mine a few months ago, and its much easier with the 2" body lift, so I cant remember the details from the first time I changed the plugs (about 10 years ago).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yup. Put it up on jack stands, Pull the front wheels and the splash shields. Couple good extensions and a wobble socket and they are easy.

Yes you can get to them from below but you have to contort your arms and hands to get in there.. going through the wheel wells is so much easier. took me about 30 minutes the last time I did mine. I was getting close to needing to do the plugs (no errors just 50k miles) and had to switch out my wheels for the winter shoes so while I did the tire/wheel swap, I did the plugs at the same time.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how long should iridium plugs last? I last did them in 2017 so am doing them now but my mechanic buddy says I couldve waited a bit.
How long do you guys run plugs/wires/dist cap/rotor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Factory service manual states a 100k interval for the spec plugs (AC Delco 41932, appears to have been superseded by 41993).

Assuming the vehicle wasn't to the "run to fail" stage of it's existence, I really wouldn't go any longer than that.

·
Administrator
87-89-90 03AWDx3
12,135 Posts
So how long should iridium plugs last? I last did them in 2017 so am doing them now but my mechanic buddy says I couldve waited a bit.
How long do you guys run plugs/wires/dist cap/rotor?
They should last a bit longer than platinum plugs. It all depends on the condition of your engine, probably have a problem with contamination before you wear them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts