Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home this evening and all of the sudden my windshield started to steam up and what appeared to be smoke coming out of the defroster vents turned out to be steam. I looked at the posts for the heater core and hoses. I am going to check the hoses later when it cools off some. Any additional things I need to check out while I am doing this......................

Thanks in advance...................

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track. Any water on the pass side floor.

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
Means your heater core is leaking. :(

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Unless you get in there and find something that doesn't look good, I'd just change the heater core.

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
This would make for a good write up with pictures if you feel so inclined :)

We'll be here if you get stuck

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you still have the factory coolant, consider changing the coolant to green and replacing the thermostat while you have it apart.

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
Astroplane said:
If you still have the factory coolant, consider changing the coolant to green and replacing the thermostat while you have it apart.
^That is the man with some more some sound advice! :clap: :chevy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got it done thank you for all of the advice and help......... It was not as easy as I had anticipated. But you know trial and error. I did use all of the screws I took out that normally does not happen. And did change the anti-freeze thermostat was fairly new only about 8k miles on it. Ran it with air on for an hour or so around the neighborhood no smell or loss of fluid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Means your heater core is leaking. :(
I'm having that proem also however there is no wetness on the floor board. It's happened two days in a row. I drive 4 miles from work to home and steam is coming from the upper passenger side of the engine. Sometimes the van runs warm and I do a flush on it but these past 2 days it really hasn't run hot ( per the gauge) but steaming from that area. Even opening the radiator cap wasn't crazy hot. Any help please with be greatly appreciated. Figure this weekend do another flush and maybe flush up there...what ever it is up there. I'm not mechanically inclined so please any advice. I love my Betsy and so scared she's just gonna die because I don't know anything

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,284 Posts
You can borrow a cooling system pressure tester from many auto parts stores.
Be sure the system is FULL, for fastest . Install the device in place of the radiator cap, and pump it up to 12 to 15 lbs.
Look to se if you can see any water leaks around the heater core or connecting hoses. The pressure should hold relatively constant, unless there is a leak. Any lost fluid will result in residual ( pressurized) air in the system expanding. That reduces the pressure reading, so the less air in the system, the faster the pressure will drop for a given amount of fluid loss. Depending upon the nature of the leak(s), pressure may even hold constant for quite a while.
With the heater core being the highest point in the system, it is difficult to get all the air out of the system, and it is hard to know if the cooling system is actually 'FULL'.
With the right front up high relative the the rest of the van, I just put the heater controls on high heat, remove the upper heater core hose, and rev the motor. When I get a decent flow, I reattach the hose, shut off the motor, and tighten the hose clamp. Be sure to top off the radiator radiator collant level when you are done.

The actual heater core is not visible, but leaking fluids should show up after a while below the heater housing area, or on inside on the carpet/mats. You should also check below the water pump for wet areas while you have the test device installed, and the pressure pumped up. It will not be related to your current question, but if there is any seepage below the water pump, it will be good to know for future reference.

Others may add helpful hints for bleeding air from the system.
Rod J

Reactions: JodiSouza

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,284 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I saw some of those hills many years ago.
We have some similar ones in Seattle too.
I live low on the side of a mountain, so I can find steep enough places if I need them. :eek:
Rod J

·
Registered
2004 Safari RWD, 2002 Astro AWD
233 Posts
Your engine gets to full temp. after a few miles and the temp outside will not change anything if its freezing or supper hot.
If you do not have time to fix the problem right away, you can just temporary unplug the two hoses from heater and join them together with a pipe and 2 hose clamps.
It will give you a couple of days till you have the replacement heater core parts and new antifreeze.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts