Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
V8 hot-rod shorty's get my vote!
View attachment 282530
I was eyeballing my sliding door-to-tire clearance two nights ago and realized that there isn't a lot of space for the tire to stick out before it interferes with the door. Your rear tires must be close to the limit, yes?

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,713 Posts
Your rear tires must be close to the limit, yes?
My 295/50-15's on 10" rims (with 5" backspacing) slightly exceeds the limit and causes interference with the door. It will pull open.. but rubs tire hard. I solved the problem by cutting a slice down the underside-center of the door, then overlapping the metals (pulling the inside bottom of door toward the outside making it thinner). This worked completely.

This does however leave a slight opening gap (when closed).. which I live with. There may be a solution for this too.. but I never bothered.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I drove the Astro to pull a small trailer Thursday night, and encountered my first two problems with the van.

1) Cruising around 45MPH, I could hear the transmission dropping out of OD. It does leak a little ATF, so the first thing I am going to check is the fluid level.

2) It has begun to start hesitantly. When I crank, it will fire, but it will likely die if I'm not Johnny on the spot with the throttle. It always does fire, so I suspect that it is a fuel pressure problem. We shall see.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts