Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,277 Posts
You will need the front 6 bolt hubs with spindles, and CV shafts, and the complete rear axle. Along with the complete 03-05 brake system (master cylinder, proportioning valve, ABS, calipers, and new lines). Not sure how compatible the brake electronics are.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The cv shafts should be interchangeable since the transfer case is the same.
The CV shafts for the 6 lug are 23 15/32", 5 Lug are 22 1/4"
The difference is because of the spindles

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Still.... it has the gears and a rear posi... that's tempting... ;)
If you do give in to temptation, Let me know.
There are a few parking brake cable brackets that I need.

It would also be good for a set of torsion bars.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was wondering if I could slide in the 5 Lug drum brakes and axle shafts into the 6 Lug rear axle assembly, not sure on the compatibility.
Not possible. The 6 lug 03-05 axle is 31mm wider on each side.
You could get new 5 lug axle shafts made to the 6 lug length, but it does not make sense to degrade back to drum brakes. The 5 lug drum backing plate will not bolt up to the 6 lug axle.

Is the Front differential IDENTICAL to the 5 lug, as it sits on the 6 lug? Because then that would be the easy part of the swap, just the front Diff. The rear is the dilemma
As far as the 97-05 the front differential is the same.
The 90-96 was different in that it used the flanged style output.

You could always take the carrier and gears from the 6 lug and swap them into the 5 lug, or just pick up a 98-02 Camaro Zexel Torsen Carrier and a 3.73 gearset

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Can the hub flanges just get redrilled and move the lug studs?
It could be done but trying to match the rear disc brake up to the 5 lug is another Pandora's box!
No matching rotors.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It makes a lot of sense if you consider the reasons I already gave.
I understand the desire to maintain the 5x5 bolt circle and serviceability
but
The brake incompatibility issue more than offsets any benefit from the wider axle.
As stated before the 5 lug drum brake will not swap to the wider 6 lug axle.
Not to mention the necessity of having to find 16" wheels to clear the disc brakes if you could find a compatible rotor.

It is simpler and far less hassle swapping the internals, or just get a new gearset.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Well hold up now....Now we're talking. So I could gut the diffs, along with the pinion gear, and that would all fit directly into my '97 5-lug's pumpkins? That would be stellar!
If what you are looking to achieve is a gear change from 3.42 to 3.73 it is a simple matter of replacing the gearset. It then makes sense to upgrade to the Torsen while you are at it. A gear change always requires resetting the backlash on the new gears.

I am not a fan of the G80 Gov-Loc LSD. It is a clutch based limited slip which means worn clutch plates and springs. A used Gov-Lov will require rebuilding prior to being installed. Even then they can and do fail.

If you break a Torsen. The vehicle will not be salvageable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.