Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place. Please advise if I should be posting elsewhere. I bought a tablet holder and phone holder and had to return both because they didn't work in my '03 Safari. Before I do that a dozen times over, I thought I'd check with the community. Couldn't find anything in the search engine.

Looking for recommendations for separate tablet and phone holders for the dashboard area.

TIA,

TStol
 

·
Registered
2003 Astro LT RWD
Joined
·
133 Posts
I've looked at various OTS solutions and not found much good AND affordable. RAM makes excellent mounts that can adapt to a lot of places, but they're far from cheap. If you dont need your CD player, there's a phone holder that fits in the slot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I was looking few years ago for tablet holder to my Jeep and the only good option is RAM. Any others rattle ornsoes not hold items properly.
I do use tablet mainly for maps and navigation. I will post later this afternoon a photo.
 

Attachments

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
It depends what you're looking for, as in where do you want it to be mounted?

Windshield mounts, like for your GPS or radar detector, easily attach to the glass and usually do no damage when you remove them. I have heard that some states windshield mounts are illegal (blocks vision, I guess).

Dash mounts, several types. Some attach to your vents (they suck, IMHO), some to a smooth surface of your dash or to a mounting plate (which mounts to your dash), or some use the cupholder. I had one that mounted to a plate that was attached to my dash, when I tried to remove it, parts of the dash came off with it. In my other car, I actually mounted a ball and used that to mount the phone holder. That's my next plan for the Astro.

I use an iOttie for my phone, I like that all you do is put it on the plate, which pushes a button and the sides spring in to clamp it. To release there are two buttons on the side that you squeeze in to release it, which also resets the button to clamp it. The phone has come out of the holder on several occasions, but in the Sebring I have it fairly vertical due to when the roof is down, I get reflections from the sun if it is angled too much. But those drops have also been due to the lovely roads here in Milwaukee, and the slightly stiffer "sporty" suspension the Sebring has.

-Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LumaWJ said:
I was looking few years ago for tablet holder to my Jeep and the only good option is RAM. Any others rattle ornsoes not hold items properly.
I do use tablet mainly for maps and navigation. I will post later this afternoon a photo.
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you. From a quick google search it looks like you can screw it into the dash. Before I drop $75, please confirm that's the case. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DriveDog said:
I've looked at various OTS solutions and not found much good AND affordable. RAM makes excellent mounts that can adapt to a lot of places, but they're far from cheap. If you dont need your CD player, there's a phone holder that fits in the slot.
Thank you. Someone else recommended RAM and I think I'll go that route. I'm ok with dropping some coin for quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
icebrrg3rd said:
It depends what you're looking for, as in where do you want it to be mounted?

Windshield mounts, like for your GPS or radar detector, easily attach to the glass and usually do no damage when you remove them. I have heard that some states windshield mounts are illegal (blocks vision, I guess).

Dash mounts, several types. Some attach to your vents (they suck, IMHO), some to a smooth surface of your dash or to a mounting plate (which mounts to your dash), or some use the cupholder. I had one that mounted to a plate that was attached to my dash, when I tried to remove it, parts of the dash came off with it. In my other car, I actually mounted a ball and used that to mount the phone holder. That's my next plan for the Astro.

I use an iOttie for my phone, I like that all you do is put it on the plate, which pushes a button and the sides spring in to clamp it. To release there are two buttons on the side that you squeeze in to release it, which also resets the button to clamp it. The phone has come out of the holder on several occasions, but in the Sebring I have it fairly vertical due to when the roof is down, I get reflections from the sun if it is angled too much. But those drops have also been due to the lovely roads here in Milwaukee, and the slightly stiffer "sporty" suspension the Sebring has.

-Andrew
Thanks for such a thoughtful reply, Andrew. I didn't post requesting a specific spot because I didn't want to limit the recommendations. Maybe someone has done something I never thought of. I'll check out the iOttie. Take care.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
LumaWJ said:
I was looking few years ago for tablet holder to my Jeep and the only good option is RAM. Any others rattle ornsoes not hold items properly.
I do use tablet mainly for maps and navigation. I will post later this afternoon a photo.
Luma, that looks like a real solid tablet mount. You say you have that in your Jeep, do you off-road in it? Does it shake/vibrate? Got a pic of how it mounts (backside)?

-Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
It is night already I do it tomorrow. It is made out of metal sheet. It is very rigid and I use it for big tablet. Yes we are offroading a lot and this is why I choosed RAM. No ratteling...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LumaWJ said:
It is night already I do it tomorrow. It is made out of metal sheet. It is very rigid and I use it for big tablet. Yes we are offroading a lot and this is why I choosed RAM. No ratteling...
I'm just looking to see if it screws into the dash (preferred) or if it's sticky tape or suction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LumaWJ said:
Those are screws. But this Is my bracket.
Oh I see it now. Don't worry about sending another pic. I had to buy a different brand because RAM didn't have a bolt down option for my "old" (2015) TAB E 9.6, lol. Thanks for the help, though. Telling me about RAM sent me down a path to get a Tackform which is what many truckers use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
So Ok I should have better pictures now. The bracket is made out of stainless steel and it is hold by screws in dash and also under radio cover. It is very solid. I have already second tablet holder as I Changed to bigger tablet. The old holes in bracket is because of that.
Tablet bracket is universal type, so I can use it for different tablets. bracket holds also tablet with cover.
You csn also buy RAM brackets to glue them or screw them to the dash, but I did not like anyone.
 

Attachments

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
Joined
·
12,209 Posts
I have used some really nice ones that fit into the CD player slot, holds them really well if you don't use the CD player and easily transferable between vehicles.
 

·
Registered
2003 Astro LT RWD
Joined
·
133 Posts
Don't know whether it's better to add to this thread or start another.

Glue-on rear-view mirror tabs seem to stay put a number of years with the right glue. So I'm considering gluing another below the mirror and mashing up a phone/tablet mount from a vacuum mount and an old mirror. Anyone done this or have thoughts about it? I've been making a mount to clamp on to the mirror but am not really happy with it. Can't see how I'd like a long thing down from the top or up from the bottom, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
I personally hate having too many things in the way of a good clear view of the road. I keep items low and just above the dash or at the very bottom of my windshield and always out of the way. I like being able to see them without taking my eyes off the road but I do not like them blocking my view either.
 

·
Registered
2003 Astro LT RWD
Joined
·
133 Posts
dchan51360 said:
You should check your state's laws before doing something. You may be surprised what is technically illegal.
Will do that for sure. I've not heard of any issues with that in NC even if it's a violation. Tinted windows, on the other hand... not so much police as DMV and annual inspections. A few years ago they had a major crackdown. What a crock. They can also be nasty about headlight hue.

A phone just below the mirror isn't in my way but yeah, a 10" tablet would be.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top