Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again. I've ordered the Steele replica of my 94 Astro's rear door weatherstripping. It looks like the old stripping is glued in. I'm pig ignorant...what type of glue do you use? And I guess I'm using Goof Off and a chisel to get the old glue out.

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,907 Posts
I am surprised the Steele site themselves did not make a suggestion.
At any rate - there are quite a few folks on the Forum here that have used their products or have simply installed new weatherstripping. Try your search terms in g00gull, but include astrosafari.com - works every time...

When I have glued things together that are real important over the years - I have always relied on 3M stuff - be it scotch tape, glues and the like. I have even used 3M Weatherstrip Glue.

* wink, wink *

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The 3m adhesive remover works as good as the adhesive does, so, good move.

don't try to spray it direct, you'll get a huge mess, but onto a rag and then be patient and thorough.

the better the cleanup, the better the installation.
And WD40 removes many kinds of adhesives. Nasty stuff. Toluene is good also, but can damage paint and plastic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just spent three hours with Goo Gone Pro and results are, meh. I've had to tarp the van because it's going to rain later tonight and now one of the rear doors has no weatherstripping. The weatherstripping I've pulled off doesn't exactly match what Steel sent me. That is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The 3M remover worked great for me, spritz it onto a coarse washcloth, and thoroughly clean one small area before moving on to the next small area.

unfortunately, it IS an hours-long task, so hang in there.
Vehicle Hood Blue Motor vehicle Car

if it makes you feel any better, this is what it looked like under my original drip-rail.

by the way, i'm sure i speak for anyone trying to follow your progress when i say pictures make all the difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ll post some photos tomorrow. I’m running into another issue. The Steele kit I ordered fits perfectly, the pegs in the strip matches the holes in the door perfectly, but its like there’s a piece missing. A wall anchor-type piece that would make the peg fit the hole. The pegs are just a little too small to stay in the hole.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The pegs are just a little too small to stay in the hole.
document the difference in the push-peg and send feedback to Steele. They worked with me on the Dutch Door set and made suggested improvements based on my real-life feedback. after all the pieces were perfected, they comped me a whole new set. they're good folks, in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts