Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got too many cars so I'm thinking about selling my AWD. I wanted an AWD, but I'd really like an AWD short van. I only hopped on this because I got a good deal. So right now just seeing what I would be offered. Location is Muncie/Anderson Indiana area. Will drive on trailer (interior has a bunch of van parts in it, will clean out if sold)

04 awd
~214k miles
Needs motor mounts
Uses coolant and then overheats (I have never let it get to the point of overheating)
New injection spider
Awd light on
Needs tires
Couldnt get radio to play any stations, but haven't messed with it very much. After market radio.
Parasitic draw on battery
I cut the passenger seat base up to make a swivel, haven't finished.
Some rust, but I haven't removed the cladding.
No cat

Has a new battery, it's been disconnected to keep it from dying.

Adding pictures in the next post/edit

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ooooh another potential project van for me, let's see:
1. Would change motor mounts if I ever swapped engines, would leave as is for now.
2. "Uses coolant and then overheats" - These are always fun to diagnose!
3. "New injection spider " - Goodie
4. AWD Light On - Have 0 Experience in this area, but always learning.
5. Tires for this van are cheap!
6. Radio? Going aux input all the way!
7. "Parasitic draw on battery " - These are my favorite. So satisfying when you find the issue.
8. This is an issue
9. Oooof, the dreaded R word, I don't know man.
10. "No Cat" - About $600 for a cat at the local shop.

Final appraisal from this random user on the internet: I get that AWD adds value to these vans and its one from the final years. 214K miles is not a deal breaker but just the mention of the word "rust" is. The paint seems to be in fair condition, something is sticking out under the driver's door.
If i was to purchase it I know $1,000 would be spent on it right away (Cat and tires). Then potentially another $500 fixing #2 and #7.

Cargurus has a similar vehicle to yours , an '04 Astro AWD with 245k miles listed for $7,999 , this one is in running order and of course the "dealer" marks it up a bit. Here's the link Used Chevrolet Astro for Sale in Los Angeles, CA - CarGurus

With all that info I would say $2,000 is a reasonable offer.

·
Registered
01 Astro RWD Cargo, 97 AWD Mark III
2,021 Posts
The custom two tone paint has to be worth something!
The cladding issue is the thin metal strips rotted away. Easily corrected with VHB double side tape.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Matt, Where is it located? Unhappy with the year, the color(s), and most all of "the list" Especially the passenger seat.But, with OldSchool's evaluation/estimate and a decent location I "may" have to, at least, consider it, assuming it runs good otherwise. MD State Inspection sounds real iffy though.

d.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's in the Muncie/Anderson Indiana area.

Takes a second to start, I assume just because it sits. Seems to run good. Don't have much time to drive it though to verify. We don't have inspections so I have no idea how it will do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts