Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I think it works pretty well. I use a bottle every 3 or 4 months just for maintenance and haven't had any problems.

It wouldn't hurt to run the first bottle through on a half a tank just to get things moving but after that it's best to follow the directions.
Thanks, i have not been able to find the chevron one but i used the lucas one today.

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If you have one carbon fouled spark plug, chances are the poppet is stuck open. Usually running a couple tanks of gas with a bottle of Techron will straighten it out.

If not, make sure you ordered the correct spider. It has to be the CPI, the CSFI and MFI units will not work in a '95.

View attachment 285321

You have to replace the nut kit also. Otherwise it WILL leak.

View attachment 285320
Is this something i can do myself or do i have to take it to the shop?
Thanks.
I just replaced the ignition coil and it did make diference in the shaking issue but still no power. when i accelerate all the way, the engine light comes on and runs so much worst. I have to turn the truck off and on again.

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The engine light means it set a code(s). Getting the codes is a good place to start.
There is no check engine light, unless i take it to the freeway and floor it.
I went to a shop that had a obd1 but the guy straight up told me that there was no point of connecting the odb1 cuz he already know that the truck was misfiring.
Tnx

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The engine light means it set a code(s). Getting the codes is a good place to start.
So, pardon my ignorance, but if there is no check engine light, does the code reader still reads a code?
Say if the reader says cylinder #2 is misfiring, does it tell you why or u have to figure it out why is it misfiring?
Also, i know there is a way to bridge the odb1 port to get the code without a reader.
Tnx

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So, pardon my ignorance, but if there is no check engine light, does the code reader still reads a code?
Say if the reader says cylinder #2 is misfiring, does it tell you why or u have to figure it out why is it misfiring?
Also, i know there is a way to bridge the odb1 port to get the code without a reader.
Tnx
Also, ive done some research and seems like one of the cylinders is running lean.
Back when i did the full tune up, one of the plugs was like witha lot of carbon deposit.
Tnx 4 your time.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I went to a shop that had a obd1 but the guy straight up told me that there was no point of connecting the odb1 cuz he already know that the truck was misfiring.
Tnx
Time to find a real mechanic.

You can use a paper clip to get the stored codes. Jump the A and B terminals, turn the key on without starting the engine and count the flashes.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Paper

Handwriting Font Paper product Paper Writing

Handwriting Rectangle Font Art Circle

Don't just buy random parts. Let's find out what's wrong so you get the right parts to fix it.

Btw, your van only has one O2 sensor.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,037 Posts
Flashing check engine light means an active misfire(aka don't keep driving it like that).
I would:
Read any possible stored codes, they are there for a reason.
Pull the plugs again and post pictures and cyl#s
Check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Flashing check engine light means an active misfire(aka don't keep driving it like that).
I would:
Read any possible stored codes, they are there for a reason.
Pull the plugs again and post pictures and cyl#s
Check fuel pressure.
It's a '95. It's still OBD1 so there's no flashing CEL misfire code. Most of the time if the CEL goes on and then goes off it's an intermittent problem, but it always stores a code.

An example would be if there was a dead spot on the TPS. As you accelerate past it, the engine will stumble and the CEL will come on. Once you are past the dead spot the computer is happy again and the light goes off.

Now say the coolant temp sensor fails. The engine will start and run normally until it wants to go into closed loop and the sensor is telling the computer that the temp is -40° F. The CEL will stay on and the van will go into limp mode and run really badly.

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It's a '95. It's still OBD1 so there's no flashing CEL misfire code. Most of the time if the CEL goes on and then goes off it's an intermittent problem, but it always stores a code.

An example would be if there was a dead spot on the TPS. As you accelerate past it, the engine will stumble and the CEL will come on. Once you are past the dead spot the computer is happy again and the light goes off.

Now say the coolant temp sensor fails. The engine will start and run normally until it wants to go into closed loop and the sensor is telling the computer that the temp is -40° F. The CEL will stay on and the van will go into limp mode and run really badly.
Yeah something like that, when the light comes on, i have to turn off the truck tho.
I replaced the o2 sensor, but nothing changed.
So correct me if im wrong but like u and other said, one of the injector is not delivering enough fuel to push the piston so the other 5 are carrying the weight of that piston, making the engine out of sync, hence the vibration.
Also,i have not been able to find the injector anywhere.
Thanks

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Time to find a real mechanic.

You can use a paper clip to get the stored codes. Jump the A and B terminals, turn the key on without starting the engine and count the flashes.

View attachment 285511

View attachment 285513
View attachment 285512

Don't just buy random parts. Let's find out what's wrong so you get the right parts to fix it.

Btw, your van only has one O2 sensor.
I like that, "let's find out"
Thank you 4 taking the time and help me out.
So i did the bridge thing and the code was 2121 which is the idle valve something but im pretty sure im reading the code wrong.
It was like flash, pause, flash flash, pause flash. And it repited itself like 3 times over then flash, flash, pause, flash, pause, flash, flash, pause flash.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,037 Posts
It's a '95. It's still OBD1 so there's no flashing CEL misfire code.
Good call!

12 is the system OK code, it would be the only code you would get if there were no codes set.
21 is TPS circuit high

·
Registered
1995 gmc safari rwd.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Did the DTC clear after replacing the TPS and resetting the computer?
Bro, please remember that im not familiar with car terminology, idk what DTC means.
I replaced the TPS but nothing changed.
So u r saying that i need to reset the computer after replacing the TPS? how do i do that?
Tnx

41 - 60 of 61 Posts