Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 Astro. 136K miles.Has a shudder when changing from overdrive to 3rd going up hills.
Already added Shudder to the transmission and that helped somewhat.
It doesn't happen in town. Only at 75 on the freeway.
My mechanic wants to replace the torque converter.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,308 Posts
Maybe different than yours, not sure:

I had an interesting dilemma a year after I had my transmission rebuilt. My "lock-up" converter started to develop a "shudder" at certain speeds (at part throttle).. and the issue kept getting worse. The moment I went out of lock-up, the shudder disappeared.

I took it back to the shop where it was rebuilt as it had a two-year warranty.

The shop was happy to fix it. First they attempted replacing the solenoid that sends hydraulic pressure to the torque-converter when lock-up occurs. This did not fix the issue, so they replaced the torque converter with new.

The problem seemed fixed at first, but the issue soon returned (not as bad as the first one).

The owner then suggested I try a product called "Shudderfixx" to see if this resolves the problem. I was certainly skeptical, but he claimed he's had success with it. We squirted the tiny tube of product down the trans dipstick tube and off I went.

We'll I'll be damned... IT WORKED!! Almost immediately too.
And now about 2 years later the shuddering issue never returned.

I was never given a reason why the new replacement LOCK-UP torque converter also had a shudder.. but the product DID work perfectly. To this day it still baffles me. I have my theories.. but never found why a converter (and 2nd new converter) would have this issue. All I know is the stuff worked.

I can't say this will will work for you (or if it's the same product you already tried) but it TOTALLY worked for me.

Mind you, this product is for converter lock-up shudder.
If your transmission is slipping (and starting to fail).. then this likely won't help.

Good luck!

Hair Brown Liquid Cosmetics Purple

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe different than yours, not sure:

I had an interesting dilemma a year after I had my transmission rebuilt. My "lock-up" converter started to develop a "shudder" at certain speeds (at part throttle).. and the issue kept getting worse. The moment I went out of lock-up, the shudder disappeared.

I took it back to the shop where it was rebuilt as it had a two-year warranty.

The shop was happy to fix it. First they attempted replacing the solenoid that sends hydraulic pressure to the torque-converter when lock-up occurs. This did not fix the issue, so they replaced the torque converter with new.

The problem seemed fixed at first, but the issue soon returned (not as bad as the first one).

The owner then suggested I try a product called "Shudderfixx" to see if this resolves the problem. I was certainly skeptical, but he claimed he's had success with it. We squirted the tiny tube of product down the trans dipstick tube and off I went.

We'll I'll be damned... IT WORKED!! Almost immediately too.
And now about 2 years later the shuddering issue never returned.

I was never given a reason why the new replacement LOCK-UP torque converter also had a shudder.. but the product DID work perfectly. To this day it still baffles me. I have my theories.. but never found why a converter (and 2nd new converter) would have this issue. All I know is the stuff worked.

I can't say this will will work for you (or if it's the same product you already tried) but it TOTALLY worked for me.

Mind you, this product is for converter lock-up shudder.
If your transmission is slipping (and starting to fail).. then this likely won't help.

Good luck!

View attachment 280263
I already tried this and it helped a little. I just put another dose in and have my fingers crossed! I'm trying to not start spending lots of money swapping expensive parts until I try all options.Thank you for the response!

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
A second opinion would be in order. Could be a cracked flex plate. Me I’m Schultz. I no nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts