Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 445 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's 2:00 AM, and I just read through the first 10 pages in the V8 forum. Nothing I read seemed to clarify my thought process. I found a complete van at PnP toda... yesterday. It's is a 1995 G20 conversion van. PnP got it from an auction here:
(expired link removed)

I noticed it has TBI, my 95 Astro has CPI. I THINK if I get the fully dressed engine, computer and harness, change the fuel pump to a TBI unit, I should be good? I'm hoping I might get away with just swapping the chip in the computer and adding wires for the second injector (there's 2 injectors in there, right? I didn't open this one up yet, it's been a long time since I looked at one). I don't think I'll have any issue with the transmission, if I have to I'll pull the one from the donor. I just want to get all I need in one shot while the donor van is still intact.

This could all fall through, but I think we've settled on a plan. My brother is getting rid of a 4X4 Chevy P/U, I'll be driving that for a while. That will take off the pressure of not having the van, affording me some time to get things right with it. My wife is on board with this so far.

If I can, I'm GONNA have a V8! (and I HATE tomato juice!)

edit:

donor VIN 1GBEG25K2SF142250 for future reference

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,451 Posts
Awesome!

Definitely can be done, make sure to grab the VIN for future reference, get wiring diagrams for both. You will swap computers.

Pump should be fine.

·
2,784 Posts
WOO HOO! Go for it!

-Andrew

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Latest plan:
My nephew is meeting me at the yard, he can help for a little bit. Some help is better than none. Hope all needed parts are still there, pull engine ETC, possibly run an errand for a friend while I'm out that way. Come home, change oil in the Astro and pray. I started it yesterday, it had 40PSI oil pressure and the knock was intermittent. I'm sure I did some damage as the engine got tight and hot, but it's worth a shot at buying time until I get a donor gone through and ready. Worst case, I've still got a spun bearing and an engine swap in my future- just more pressing.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Either way, I'm headed out in the AM in hopes of stripping this van. I really hope it's been left alone this past week.

I'll still try an oil change, what's in there now can't have any lubricating properties left. It's fresh, but trashed.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Met my nephew as PnP opened, I'd forgotten he used to have a G20/30 that he had swapped the engine in a time or two. We walked back hoping to find the van as I'd left it a week ago. Someone had taken off the doghouse- AND THAT'S IT! It was still complete, air filter to oil pan, fan to tailshaft, wire harness and computer and all. As we were loading it up I noticed the bellhousing had a "GMPARTS" sticker on it, and the side was stenciled 95CH. When I separated the transmission, I found a "remanufactured for GM" sticker on the torque converter. COOL!

My nephew was INVALUABLE getting this thing apart in a timely fashion. We arrived at 8 and had it hanging from an A frame on a come-along at noon. I know I'd still be out there had I attempted it solo.

While out there I met TheDivingPirate and picked something up for a friend. Nice guy!

More to come later, I just came in to cool off a bit and rehydrate.

Looks like this is on track to actually happen. Not the time frame I had envisioned, but it is what it is.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spent today off and on cleaning up the garage and cooling back down. There was NO WAY I'd attempt this in a work space in the condition mine has been recently. We've had a lot happen in recent years, garage time has suffered in part due to all of that. I couldn't find my pic from the "show your garage/work bench thread, but suffice to say the pic from some time ago looked like a "Where's Waldo" puzzle. As it looks now (Minus the water mug):

This IS better than it was, but still a ways to go before I tear into an engine. I'm "off-ish" tomorrow, I'm hoping to make more headway out there. (the company is saying for everyone to take the day off if possible, kind of like a snow day- things will still get done in due time)

There's also the matter of the buggy living in there, it's going to be displaced for the duration of this swap. Looks like I NEED to get it right the first time on this. The buggy has no roof, I'm not wild about it being un-garaged.

On the stand, waiting patiently:

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chevymaher said:
Good deal congrats on the find.
Thanks! Can't wait to get it done.

It was kind of funny talking to a couple of different old timers out there. They both asked what it was going into and seemed surprised at the answer. One said we should have taken one from a truck (if there were any there to be had). The other went on about how he knew a guy who did this swap, but had to modify this, that, the other, had to make a new bigger engine cover, cut his firewall, blah blah blah. I just kinda humored him and kept pushing the hoist to the end of the row.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was about $480 for engine, trans, harness, computer and core charges, with the 1 year extended warranty on the engine and tranny. The guy ringing it up said he gave me a deal by not ringing all the accessories, but last time I looked a full "engine with accessories"came with accessories. Either way, I felt lucky it was ll still there, untouched, and the same year as my van.

I was curious, so I went back and looked at the paperwork. He rang up the engine, the transmission, the warranties, tax and environmental fees, and gave me 10% off the engine and tranny prices. Harness and computer aren't listed. $475.91

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! I realized the other day that I had gotten pretty good at swapping inline 6/250's for V8's back in the late 80's. That swap was bolt in with factory parts, just a matter of cutting the exhaust pipe in the right spot to sleeve it together. How much worse/different could this be?

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Was the harness and compy from the g20 behind the drivers seat? if so that was the same as my '93. easy swap.
Compare the two harness side by side. I did it on the garage floor. Mine were identical but for the lengths of the knock sensor (opposite side of motor) and a temp sender I think, I'm a little fuzzy about the sender.

I used the original harness that was in my van and extended those two needed wires, because your changing fuel systems I think you'll want to use the harness from the g20. It is way too long but is already correct for the engine and fuel system so I would be inclined to use it. IMO I would rather clean, inspect and shorten the g20 harness rather than go through and convert the astro harness from CPI to TBI.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
i'm pretty sure on 95 you would only need to add one or possibly two wires to the original harness vs shortening the g20 one. the second injector for the tbi needs a wire, some folks have used the wire for the control flap in the plenum for this wire and just repinned it and rerouted it a little.

1 - 20 of 445 Posts