Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 stro base
148 Posts
It runs good and will rev when in park. When i step on the gas it bogs down like a cheap weedeater.
I'm not too keen on the relationship between the engine and transmission and especially with an AT, how they work together. I know there's some kind of link between them other than the torque converter, but beyond that, I don't know.
I think in the past an EGR valve might have been an issue with a vehicle of mine. Might not have been either. I don't recall for sure. I had a Monte with a 305 once that couldn't get out of its own way and would act as you state. I'd hear the engine rev, not quickly mind you, but it wouldn't be going anywhere. It sounded normal out of gear though.
I think you can isolate if it's an engine vs. transmission issue if you use your selector as a manual shifter. Start in 1, shift up manually at a good high rpm. See if the engine responds as it should. If it does then I would think it to be a transmission problem. If it doesn't than it could be a mis-adjustment on that connection I don't know enough about, or it could be something else entirely.

·
Registered
2000 Astro Archer conversion. 4x4 kit. 73k miles as of 3/13/22
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine will rev normally while in park or neutral. While accelerating it will go normal as long as i slowly feed the gas. If i mash it, it sounds like it windes up to like 2000 or so rpms, then it just sputters. It feels like the transmission should down shift so the engine can builds rpms the upshift.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is code that keeps popping up. The van had a "cold air" filter put on about a month ago. It also has a new MAF sensor on it. It still runs better after i clear the code.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
92 stro base
148 Posts
Guessing it's acing up again?
Did you look up the code? Does your scanner give fix suggestions? Look it up online? (it'll probably send you back here first! :LOL: )
Have you tried shifting manually like I suggested? Is it bogging regardless of gear and speed so long as it's under any load?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled into traffic today and it would only go like 20 mph. I was holding to the floor. I kept backfiring and would build any rpms. Haven't tride manually shifting because i thought it was fixed.

·
Registered
92 stro base
148 Posts
I pulled into traffic today and it would only go like 20 mph. I was holding to the floor. I kept backfiring and would build any rpms. Haven't tride manually shifting because i thought it was fixed.
We recently had a lift truck acting like that. Grant they are 2 different systems entirely, but it basically just needed a tune up. At least that's what the mechanic said and did. I had thought it maybe skipped it's timing the way it was acting. I would hunt down them codes and see what the fixes are for them, then determine if they are plausible accordingly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does sound like it's out of time. It was backfiring and couldn't go over 20, 2 days ago. Today i started it up and there were no codes and ran fine. Then i put the old MAF back in ran fine and no codes. ..... i dont know

·
Registered
92 stro base
148 Posts
It does sound like it's out of time. It was backfiring and couldn't go over 20, 2 days ago. Today i started it up and there were no codes and ran fine. Then i put the old MAF back in ran fine and no codes. ..... i dont know
Then I would think it is your MAF going, or maybe a wire leading to it, maybe the terminal connector, could be loose or getting corroded enough that the electrical connection gets interrupted, blowing the codes, and not self resetting. Maybe pull them off and spray some contact cleaner in them first.

·
Registered
92 stro base
148 Posts
I have no idea how to do that.
Mostly visually. Look for any corrosion that could be inhibiting current, broken or loosely connected wires that could be intermittently making electrical contact. If you have a continuity tester of some sort wouldn't hurt either.
When you say you put the new one in and it did the same thing, did you mean it tripped codes again? Did it do so while running but not actually in motion? If so, that can probably be ruled out, especially if you verify the connections all have continuity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts