Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park with the van pretty flat.
My interior rear floor is basic Masonite, so water drops show up quickly.
This last week, I opened the slider and found a wet spot directly under the back compartment of the overhead console. There was abiy of water in the drop down door and in the adjacent courtesy light lens.
I have dropped the console yet, but I am looking for possible ideas as to where that could be coming from.
Last I heard water does not run up hill, and the roof is not perforated any place except at the rack mounting points, which are definitely below that level.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

· Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
6,062 Posts
Well, all I know is... neither of the Overhead Consoles normally screw into the 'outer shell' sheet metal.
Front and back use subplates for the mount screws.

Even with the angle, what about the windshield seal - hope that's not what it is.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Psst, you have the factory roof rack? The screws and nutserts can leak, after all, our vans are old. And, they are directly over a roof support u- channel.Yep, the channel right at the end of the o/h console. Could give a pic. if needed. Also, had to remove my front headliner years ago,winter van, because of mice, and actually saw daylight in a few spots,lol, but further down, like were the roof seam is. But never bothered me, as dryer climate here, and the seam never seemed to leak much,being vertical. But roof rack screws are known for leaking.

· Registered
936 Posts
the seam area under the top of the windshield is also known to rot, which would dump water into the overhead console region. Of course many times this cannot be seen without removing the windshield, but you could try the experiment of taping the top seam and see if that changes the water issue

· Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,370 Posts
Experiment?
Tape worked for me... lol
(provided this is where it's leaking)
Stopped my drip completely
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Plant

Did both my vans.. years later still holding high and dry
I break the rules.. simple solutions often work great for me.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Experiment?
View attachment 288138

Yep, both my vans leak up there, dead center. And not rust. Older one drips into rf cup holder,lol. Newer one is just a drip running down inside glass, but very intermittent. Both need new glass,again, part of living in the snow belt, but will probably tape them this time.

· Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
6,370 Posts
I use the highest quality 3M electrical tape that keeps soft and can stretch with the weather.
Not a "proper fix".. but a "simple fix" that has worked for me over the years.
In my case, I consider it a permanent fix.
I did the back one too.

Can't even tell the tape is there.. looks like weatherstrip.
Good application is key to success.. surface must be 100% clean.

Reactions: MechBob

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The way it is parked, and the condition of the body, makes me think the windshield seal should not an be an issue. Even if the windshield was leaking, I do not see how water would get to the back of the console without also showing up in the front part.
A strange can'O'worms ....to be opened up later.
Rod J

· Registered
88 Posts
Mine was the leaking roof rack mount over the driver seat. They are of a stupid design and good luck getting the screws out. Hint - It took me about an hour to get mine out. Sprayed with PB Blaster, tried to turn a 1/4 turn and then back again. Try a half turn and then back again.

Eventually got all out except that one f-ing screw. Had to drill that one out.

Resealed every mount with silicone and have not had the problem since.

· Registered
936 Posts
Experiment?

I should have quoted experiment as i too have multiple roof leaks solved with tape.

I like to pretend im going to properly solve the problem "someday".

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
During this last storm session in Seattle from the wet rain,,deep snow,super teens freezing cold.."atmospheric rivers" and floods;my back doors leaked a little.I even pulled up my back plastic trim strip over the new laminate floor edge..nothing under the floor itself. I think the water leak was because of the deep,hard frozen snow expanded the gap slightly around the top on the back door weatherstrip there more than normal and as it thawed,some water did get in the van.I've watched/checked since our weather turned back to normal limits..and no sign of any more leakage.Rod..perhaps yours was kind of a weird-weather-fluke also.
I think mine might have come from the latch portion/hole above the second door that cuts into the top weatherstrip..and dripped down into the door itself.I do need to change out those two back lower door panels..They did get wet in the past but haven't lately(this year?) until a little while ago after that storm.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
realityguy and others,
Thanks for the anecdotes and suggestions.
I have green 'gaffer' tape, which is pretty good match.;)
I obviously have a few things to check out once I can get the van under cover and the roof warm and dry. Then I will try to remove the front headliner section.
The idea about freezing snow/ice springing the door a bit may be a possibility. Even though I did have some heat in the van, the doors were frozen shut for a couple of days. I am still wondering, with the contour of the inside of the roof, how water could migrate up hill to get into the overhead console. The reinforcing channel in that area has both ends down at roof edge.
Hopefully the source will be evident when I get the headliner down, but it may be months before I get to it.:cautious:
Rod J
Issaquah, Wa

· Registered
92' ASTRO EXT AERO LEISURE TOURING model 4.3 L V6 RWD Barn Doors @ 402,500 + miles org motor/tran
64 Posts
YES! "Mmusicman" about the TAPE on the top of windshield as U so nicely show in your photo ( THANKS!) I thought of everything to STOP my RUTHIE from the RAIN water coming in along the top over both drivers & passenger side PLUS the center headliner console where my inside lighting buttons or switches R located on her touring model within its wooden panel .It litterly RAINED down thru this area so I actually had a CATCH ALL container inside on the floor in front of the doghouse 2 CATCH IT🙄 PLUS carrying a roll of paper towels to STUFF up 2 help sop up the rain drops falling on my head ( just like the song 🙁) NOW I read that RUST is not uncommon so GOOD THING I don't do THAT anymore ! HELLO Rod who had shared on another one of his informational post that water CAN & DOES run downhill from the back to the front
I then " thought" after countless trials of sealing the" replaced windshield ( many years ago) with varied types of silicone INCLUDING what they use on the BOEING planes that ONLY were a " temporary" fix .....I said HELL! WHY not try GORILLA TAPE & it has HELD up the BEST 🤓 plus I found WHITE so it actually matches her color. HOORAY! Until I just READ what all U fellas just posted in trying to help "ROD J"( hello 🙂) out I had " wondered" IF those of us who have the factory installed roof racks " could" B a source of water leakage 😕 Other then trying 2 fight removing them 2 make sure that DOESN'T become issue considering we " do have" older vans. UR probably onto something there "reality guy" as when us PNWers have our weird weather episodes that any of us MAY experience " more issues " with leaking ?
"MechBob" could U PLEASE post of picture of the " nutserts & channel UR mentioning ??
"Tinworm" U keep working on your FINE idea about the roof rack leaks as I have also " wondered" about that considering I have leaking coming in on both sides under my rear windows where my carpet becomes saturated despite having all the weather stripping REPLACED & making sure the bottom slider windows R CLOSED so I already have realized over time that I really gotta pull out ALL the carpet as I am " certain" I UNFORTUNATELY have that DREADED RUST beneath those areas. Already viewed " another GREAT & INFORMATIONAL posting on a guy that did an AWESOME job doing that very same thing to his ASTRO. HONESTLY, ALL U fellas R a wealth of INCREDIBLY VALUABLE insight & information 😃 which includes U "Ehbrown1" & sixsix with your input along with "copperfiremist!" ( COOL A** name BTW)
Well now that I probably caused a ruccas with all my chitchat about that I hope I wasn't talking out of turn since post was intended 2 help out one if the BROTHERS in the BROTHERHOOD 😎 😅 THANKS FELLAS 😉

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
I ended up laying tarps over the vans for the worst of the storms(flooding rain and deep snow)..if I wasn't driving THAT one.(whichever one or both).The other times of the year I had a 10x20 Harbor Freight canopy up for awhile..until the first windstorm wrapped that around a big fir tree.I'm going to redo some better concrete pads in the driveway with bent rebar embedded for more permanent tie-down spots or somewhat straight ground level bars or eyebolts I can drive over,so I can take the canopy in or out easy. Those canopies cover an Astro well on all sides..and are great to work under,but those kites need good anchors!
For me..I think it WAS the frozen snow and rain,ice expansion.. The right door seemed to be a little out from fully locked down,,maybe I didn't close it 100% after opening it,and froze that way?..and where the leak occurred. We are still getting quite a bit of rain and I'm not having the problem..left in the flat driveway or parked down in a slight back end lower situation.
During the worst wind times,I pull the vans out from under the big fir trees to avoid any big branches coming down,to a spot that is level,and tarp over them. We had more branches down this year than anytime in the last 35+!..which can happen during large snowloads,weighted down by more rain or wet snow on them.
One night..You would hear "Crack!" then "Whoomp!" timed to about 1 every 2-3 minutes as the entire neighborhood with big firs kept loosing limbs..just praying they don't hit the houses! We did loose power twice this year from overhead high voltage lines taken out by big branches/clusters..in pretty much the same location.It took 2 months to get rid of our branches pile..with 10 garbage cans of "yard" waste every two weeks.. with the 3-5" diameter branch portions getting cut up into firewood.Anything smaller goes into the cans.

Pam..the best way to check under the carpet in the back is to remove the plastic trim strip at the floor at the back doors(easy,but I think it takes a "torqs bit?").Once that is unscrewed,you can lift it and its rubber/felt backing up and see how bad it looks and clean/vacuum most of the water out of the metal troughs..especially if parked with the back end downhill..or ..move it to that position/location after you clean the water out..to see how much more or farther forward the "lake" really goes or was.😱

There are supposed to be more than a thousand lakes in this area..I think a hundred of those are in the backs of Astros..🙄

· Registered
92' ASTRO EXT AERO LEISURE TOURING model 4.3 L V6 RWD Barn Doors @ 402,500 + miles org motor/tran
64 Posts
REALITYGUY 😎 😃 U surely R " rockin" with the INFO aren't U 😉.....everything from a very detailed weather report much more worth hearing about how U explain it then our local news stations I must say! 🤣 I am fortunate I MISSED our Washington wind storms ( DANG!!! U got some Flippin big a** trees !) & our freezing 🥶 as I was still in Oregon helping out my friend since early October & " still " here 😲
(retired nurse ❤) I tend 2 worry " more" about falling limbs crashing into MY ASTRO since she's the ONLY vehicle I own & MY " daily driver" as currently don't have any " donors " 2 play with like U SMART fellas who CAN work on your own 😃 YES!!! Sure would have been GREAT if I would have " known" about ALL U CLEVER FELLA's & ALL your "combined" TALENTS & SKILLS waaaaay back when I started driving my girl in 98 but " alas" I am a little late to the 🥳 party" as one of our new fellas stated 😆.
LOVE the canopy idea 💡 having definitely considered over the years but didn't want the " "look" of having it in the driveway which was pretty DUMB since she's had the issues with the " lakes" occurring as U so hilariously describe 😆 & WHAT I could have at least " delayed" had I opted 2 PROTECT her "better" UNDER COVER 😬 So we live & we LEARN, " right?!"
I " did" look at the Harbor Frieght canopy & there's another from a different company that " appears" to B a little bit sturdier & assembly has a unique structure component. DEFINITELY don't want any " kites flyin" either like U said ( U have a GREAT sense of HUMOR 😂 ) so anchoring down " would B " a plan 😉
When I'm back home my driveway is asphalt & level so no tendency 4 her to B sittin low on either end when it comes 2 watching out 4 the lakes BUT doesn't matter cus she's getting UNDESIRED rain regardless.
I will acquire what U suggest 2 remove that strip & pull up the carpet & padding 2 evaluate what I am more likely dealing with including all those "channels" ....once I get back home as I pretty much am CERTAIN the back seat is gonna need 2 B REMOVED as when I felt the carpet it was WET all the way up PAST the wheel well past where the seat is bolted in 😥
Having the dry-Z- air containers on both sides below the seat DO help BUT MUST take care of the PROBLEM of " how & why" ..... I KNOW 😬
I APPRECIATE your HELPFUL ADVICE & will SEE what I find out .... THANKS so much smile 😉

· Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
6,062 Posts
Remember... "Black Electricians Tape" is easy to remove - those others... not so much.
Gosh, pam, you and reality's posts are so hard to read. I get lost and can't find my way back...

It is surely just me on my measly little 15" laptop.

· Registered
2004 Astro V6
233 Posts
Pam(or anybody that might have wet back carpeting)..What you probably don't realize is that the "carpet" in your van consists of a top layer of carpeting with about a 3/8" rubber base to it..and under that is something like a horse blanket over the actual metal floor with 1/4" deep troughs in that metal floor.Water sits mainly UNDER that rubber base and never does dry out..rusting out the floor itself.
Just so you won't be in shock if you do take my advice about removng the trim strips and lifting the carpet..I did mine at the end of that 3 month heat wave without rain and STILL had a soaked undercarpet and some water to deal with.You can pull the trim off from around your removable seat posts,take out the back trim and side door upper trim piece and lift most of the carpet up to see what is under it for water.MOST water is underneath the rubber base of the carpet..what on top is probably just a small amount of what is there.
Pictures..shows the back HALF of my rolled up carpet(1/2 of what is up to behind the seats)..the undercarpet on the outside Notice the grooves or troughs in that base carpet which hold the water,and rust out the floor.
My new floor..has bubble wrap insulation over the grooves,1/4" plywood sturdi-floor,screwed down over that(screws probably every 6"),then a layer of foam for under the tongue and groove laminate flooring..the trim is lifted about 1/4" so I added the aluminum strip under the side door's trim at the step..and cleaned/screwed the trim back down.The aluminum transition strips behind the seat finishes off the front old carpet to the laminate flooring.Someday..I'll change out the front carpeting..but i'd like to find a good "cargo van's mat up there for the dirt and mud from around here..easier to take out and clean.I have a loose carpet for over the laminate floor area that shows,so if it gets dirty,I can just pick it up and shake it out the door. The old plastic trim strips are about a 1/4" higher than the floor..holding the dirt there that is tracked in.
If you have lots of water..I suggest removing the carpet at least up to the seats,set it outside to dry(both top and bottom..and clean/deodorize it if you need to outside the van(hose,brush, and laundry detergent?)..let it dry..and reinstall it the same way it came out.It'll NEVER dry inside the van.
My rust wasn't bad..dried it out and repainted the bad areas..
I cut my carpet in half and scraped off the undercarpet(after the picture),dried it,and rolled it up for storage.If I ever need to cut the floor for a seat or two in the back,I can just lay it back out where it goes over the new floor,and mark the old seat anchor holes using the old original carpet cuts..rout the marked holes out through the laminate floor and plywood, and screw the trim back in around those holes(I have no screws in the plywood where the holes are),a simple job only because I'll still know where they are because of the carpet!
It's called thinking ahead..Someday..me..or a new owner.. may need those holes which are still imbedded in the metal floor.My cabinets are removable and the back bench seats wrap the carpeted wheel humps.. unbuckle from the framing over the wheel humps.The holes are under the bench seat base area so I can rout the bottom of the bench seats for the trim that sticks up also..so they remain smooth on the floor.
Sorry six-six..I'd rather have someone realize it isn't that hard to do..and know what to expect by doing it rather than a big fat surprise..and "You didn't tell me about that!". Can Pam do it?..I think so..and probably a lot more people with the same water problem.While their carpet is drying out of the van,they may have better luck findiing where things are leaking also..and fix things.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Trunk Grass

Property Wood Vehicle Floor Flooring

Cabinetry Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain

· Registered
64 Posts
HOLEY MOLEY REALITYGUY 😂😁
MORE WISE WISDOM & GREAT ADVICE & HELP 4 "ALL" of us 😉 FANTASTIC description 2 👍 including " pictures!" THANK U 2 for that ENCOURAGEMENT as I am a pretty darn determined gal alright & I really ENJOY doin it myself when I can & LOVE learning NEW THINGS 😁
Sixsix UR A GREAT FELLA 2 😉 so just ENJOY the " read " cus LIFE is much 2 short & bleak WITHOUT some FUN- LOVIN " FUNNY " " quality" guys or gals 2 bring some life 2 the party 🃏🎉 😂😘 ........ Us ASTRO-KIND R our own brand of "uniqueness!" ENJOY IT 😅

1 - 20 of 29 Posts