Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, a little over a year ago the voltage regulator went out on my 92 safari. As I was in in the middle of Wyoming, I ended up having to limp the poor van some 400mi home. For the last 20mi there was the strong sulfur smell that I instantly related to the catalytic converter. After replacing the alternator the van seems to run fine.

A little over a year later

I'm taking it to a muffler shop to get a new muffler put on (rusted out the bottom) and I'm wondering if while it's there, should I have the cat replaced as well? I know they're supposed to last the life of the vehicle but I don't like the idea of it reducing power when it isn't necessary.

BTW, I do have to pass emissions where I live so just gutting it isn't an option.

· Registered
260 Posts
BTW, I do have to pass emissions where I live so just gutting it isn't an option.
Dang it. There went my usefulness on this thread...

Cats are not expensive. The last time I bought a Dynomax high flow cat from Jeg's, it was something like $55. With that said, the only reasons I would replace one is if the cat had gotten hot enough to glow or if the engine had been known to be burning a lot of oil or running exceptionally poorly for a long time.

· Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
14,572 Posts
You or your shop can remove a front o2 sensor and install a pressure gauge to see if it's causing (restriction) problems.

Most likely it doesn't need to be replaced but as stated above the weld in ones aren't expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.