Two weeks ago I had a sudden misfire after starting up not to far from home. Engine light was flashing and read out to a P0300. I started up the car gauge pro and saw that it was cylinder 6 constantly misfiring. I was pretty upset because I rebuilt the passenger side head two years ago and could only imagine what was wrong. So I removed the doghouse and opened up the 2yo cap rotor and cleaned some corrosion off the contacts. Van was still misfiring. So I removed the spark plug and instantly smelled raw gas. So I swapped out the spark plug wire with cylinder 4 expecting to see the misfire switch cylinders. After starting it up the van was running fine with no misfires. I thought wtf maybe a bad contact or something. So I drove around for a few days like that and ordered a new brass cap and rotor and set of AcDelco wires. Just finished installing them and the van feels great.
I've had my new driver's window-motor on the shelf for some time. The original was overheating, I've been busy with moving and any other thing rather than changing the motor, but I was getting tired of the naked door. So I told myself put the panel back on, tomorrow morning, and when the motor finally does crap out, we'll change it. Lucky for me, it crapped out that evening. The job took longer than it should have because my shop isn't organized yet, but i drilled out the 4 pop-rivets, drilled the holes slightly larger for larger pop-rivets, and was finished before i knew it.
Now that the driver's window is working great, I realize how slow the passenger window is. Guess I might as well put another new motor on the shelf.
I'm hoping for some snow this winter, which is rare on the coast, so I can finally show off my AWD.
Found another previous video I hadn't shared yet.
Testing my Holley upgrade... a casual cruise around the block.
I typically early shift max around 5000 rpm... even though it will go well past.
(this Holley carb is close to 40 years old)
Van has been parked in garage for about 6 months now since this video was taken.. I think it's still ready to go!
Not my best engine photo.. but it's one of the few that shows the Holley carb
This past weekend I installed a replacement ECM/BCM (electronic/body control module).
My stock unit had developed some weird intermittent dash display issues. Even though I temporarily resolved the issue by cleaning up some very minor internal water-damage, as well as the connectors.. I no longer completely trust the unit. It hasn't given me any further trouble, but I'd rather not run into an issue that might cause further trouble down the road.
I ordered this replacement from "Flashmasters" on Ebay $119 (thanks Leeann for the GREAT advice).
They are very highly rated and their prices are the best online too.
I disconnected the battery and moved the fuse block out of the way.
For those who may not be aware... the ECM is vertically mounted located just below and next to the battery.
The old unit can be removed (one single clip) with connectors/wiring still attached... and then disconnected once you get it up and out in the open.
Here's my replacement unit (next to old one):
* The unit must be ordered with VIN number programmed into it.
* Additionally, there is a "key learning" program that must be done after the unit is installed.
It will briefly start, sputter.. then quickly die.
It requires 3 "ten minute cycles" with key on.. until security light goes out (each time).
Then it starts right up and runs great.
My understanding there is a "crank-shaft relearn" programming that is supposed to be done, but I have not done this and probably won't bother (at least not for now). I think it requires programming equipment I do not have. My understanding it will throw a code and cause the engine light to come on. Supposedly you won't get correct misfire info. There doesn't seem to be any performance issue.. runs great.
I will keep the old unit now as a spare.
I also replaced my front AWD wheel hub this past weekend too...
Busy weekend. Started off with checking my fuel pressure regulator. Never really looked at it, knew of the mods to make it adjustable but just didn't get around to it...til now.
Hmmm, looks a little filthy.
Broken spring isn't doing its job.
Modified one, if you spin the bottom it moves the screw. Tack welded the screw to it.
Then I hit the junkyard. Score! Middle of Oct they dropped off a '92 LT, and it hadn't been scavenged much. I grabbed a few things off it. First was a reman alternator that had just been put in. Snag for $24, not that mine was necessarily bad, but can't pass that up, especially since someone had already removed it and it was just sitting inside the van.
Then I felt like my van needed less, so I pulled the dash.
It had spent many years in Florida, so the dash was cracked in many places.
I got the new one in, but I lost the light (thank you daylight savings) so no pics yet. I must have bumped a connection, the memory on the radio isn't working so it doesn't hold the time. Guess I'm going back in.
Oh, I recommend never doing this. Pain in the ... And if you do choose to do it, get some help. I'm aching now.