Music surprisingly clean. I only have 117 K. I just kinda did it for maintenance. Like you I'm a paper gasket guy. I took Leanns advice and paid 12 bucks for a new cover. Had a little metal on the magnet, but not. Much. The unit was so clean that I didn't even use brake. Clean on it.
New mirrors are available on Ebay/Amazon for very decent prices.
I just replaced my passenger side, and was amazed at the quality.
It may even be better than the original.. at a fraction of the price
$39 (for manual) $42 (motorized).. but I'm sure you can find cheaper too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0874 ... ct_title_1
Just installed a few days ago...
THE OLD... (I was a little overdue)
The tape held it from flopping around... lol
I'm extremely happy with the new mirror.
Should have changed it long ago.
Now I guess I need to do the other side (so they match)
Today I drove over to my sister's house to help my BIL finish some work on their Buick, then went to pick up my son from his job. He had been carpooling with a friend, but the friend started flaking, and earlier this week said friend resigned. His drop off/pickup spot is a few blocks from Pick N Pull, roughly 12 miles or so each way. It was a lot more convenient when he worked at the Sonic around the corner.
Of more interest is what I did, rather didn't do, with my van yesterday. My neighbor had a buddy over who happens to love Astros and said he's in the market for one. My neighbor told him I has highly unlikely to sell, but you never know. We talked Astros for a few, he asked what I'd take for it. I said I'll probably be buried in it. He threw out the number 3K, I passed. He asked what it would take, 5K? Part of me wanted to do it, but a much bigger part said don't be a fool and have to do it all over again. I don't know how serious he was, but I guess it doesn't matter. It's "My" van. I couldn't let it go like that.
Well, the plan was to screw around with the headlights to get them right.
Robert Burns was right.
Instead, my husband and I spent 2 hours getting the hood unlatched, the latch cleaned and greased and the safety latch replaced, cleaned and greased.
The safety latch has always wobbled a little; someone manhandled it pretty badly in the past. The last time I dropped the hood, the safety latch was out of place and jammed. Hard. Took a while to get it unjammed so we could get it free. The piece that holds it straight when you pull the lever was pretty bent and the rivet or whatever is the pivot was kinda loose.
I took the one out of the '99 because it was the straightest and tightest we had. Cleaned it up with the cup brush, blew a coat of black paint on it, cleaned out the hinge area and greased it, then installed it on the '05. While I was doing that, my husband cleaned out the latch and worked grease into the moving parts.
Now the hood opens better than it ever has since I bought it.
And finally finished. Turned out great, but now I am leaking trans fluid from the top fitting on the trans cooler. Must have disturbed it with the fan shroud...quite disappointing. I will try to fix it, but if I can't I will just find a external trans cooler to replace it.
I was able to fix the tranny line with a new $5 transmission cooler line fitting from AutoZone. Can't wait for tomorrow morning to drop off my work truck and actually get some drive time with the lift and tires!
Today, I swapped the headlight housings with those from the white '02. Those headlights were aimed well and properly. Unlike the replacements on the '05, which couldn't be properly aimed to save their lives.
The hood popped up like it's supposed to as soon as I pulled the handle. Last week's work was worth it.
Then I cleaned the windshield and Dutch door window, inside and out.
I fixed mine last month.
It's a GREAT feeling pulling the handle... and the hood pops up effortlessly!
It was the tiniest tweak.. that's all it needed.
One of my favorite accomplishments lately! lol
Today I worked on the other end... NEW REAR 'KYB MONOMAX' shocks!
Just finished a couple hours ago... haven't driven it around yet.
The old 'Rough Country' shock bushing recently blew out... making a lot of clunking while driving.
The shock original part number is no longer found anywhere.. even on manufacturer website.
I have a suspicion this MonoMax is going to be quite a bit MORE FIRM than what I pulled off.
I hope they're not too firm. Might be a "break-in" period too.. we'll see.
It was the longest shock I could find (that would fit my lift) from KYB (with eyelets on both ends).
I put my little product sticker on the rear window.
I'll post more on this in a couple days..
PS: Oh.. and I proudly flew my American flag today in tribute of 20 years since 9/11..
Buy an Astro Van they said. It will be fun they said. UGH. Went to the junkyard to get new barn doors. I was going to take the bumper off to pound the bottom pins out. Couldn't get the bumper off so I had them cut the hinges off with a torch after struggling with the bumper. Get home and try to pound the pins out of my doors and couldn't. So I look up to see if there are any tricks and find it seems to be darn near impossible to get them out. UGH. So I decided to do plugs and wires as the VAN is running rough. UGH. WHat a nightmare. Got 2 1/2 plugs done. The rear of the drivers side might be cross threaded. Quit for the night. I will get after it tomorrow hopefully.
Doe_nStein wrote: "Get home and try to pound the pins out of my doors and couldn't. ..."
Several comments in similar previous threads about the hinge pins seem to indicate pounding is not the answer.
It tends to mushroom the pins...for good. :banghead:
Most seem to partially drill them, and then press the remaining part out. It is much less likely to damage the door, or hinge.
I will have to admit to have never tried to remove an Astro door pin. I am just passing along what has been posted much earlier, by more adventurous owners.