Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
16661 - 16680 of 16702 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Went through the Astro Safari right of passage and replaced the motor mounts. I must say I had to lift the motor more than expected but it made everything fit right into place. I definitely recommend bolting the mount to the frame first then lowering the motor in.
Now just waiting for my new fleabay aluminum radiator to arrive.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Rod's Trucks said:
Doe_nStein wrote: "Get home and try to pound the pins out of my doors and couldn't. ..."
Several comments in similar previous threads about the hinge pins seem to indicate pounding is not the answer.
It tends to mushroom the pins...for good. :banghead:
Most seem to partially drill them, and then press the remaining part out. It is much less likely to damage the door, or hinge. :)
I will have to admit to have never tried to remove an Astro door pin. I am just passing along what has been posted much earlier, by more adventurous owners.
Rod J
Issaquah, Wa

·
Registered
39 Posts
WoodButcher said:
Rod's Trucks said:
Doe_nStein wrote: "Get home and try to pound the pins out of my doors and couldn't. ..."
Several comments in similar previous threads about the hinge pins seem to indicate pounding is not the answer.
It tends to mushroom the pins...for good. :banghead:
Most seem to partially drill them, and then press the remaining part out. It is much less likely to damage the door, or hinge. :)
I will have to admit to have never tried to remove an Astro door pin. I am just passing along what has been posted much earlier, by more adventurous owners.
Rod J
Issaquah, Wa
You may be a life saver. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
2002 and 2004, RWDs
287 Posts
Doe_nStein,
The tool in the vid seems way better than the ones sold everywhere else that don't hold up to the task.
It's priceless in the junkyard without power or air.

But now that you're out of the yard you've got more options, unless you see yourself needing more rear doors later.
Member's have had great success quickly driving pins out with an air-chisel.
If you could borrow one that'd be the way to go, even if you had to buy the part you need that's not a chisel - great payment for the loan.
If you could use an air-chisel yourself in the future, It'd be better to put money towards that at this point.

I believe it was Hotwire who notched his plastic bumper cover (the black part on top of it) to reach the lower hinges with the air-chisel, very unnoticeable to trim a notch.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Hammering anything on the bottom of the pin will peen the end of it and only lock it in tighter. The tool that you see in the video does not hit the pin but simply applies pressure and the shock is on the top leaf of the hinge.

·
Registered
2002 and 2004, RWDs
287 Posts
Oh, I like that tool, don't get me wrong.
I'm just in a hurry to get some doors before someone else does or ruins them.

Currently sitting in the parking lot of LKQ in the rain and there's no sign of anyone.

I thought LKQ was open rain or shine?
Thought I'd read as long as there's no lightning they're open.
Couldn't find any rules about rain this morning.
Don't know if I stay the night maybe they'll open.

It's just a hurricane or storm, bunch of lightweights

·
2,654 Posts
Doe_nStein said:
Buy an Astro Van they said. It will be fun they said. UGH...
Wish I could find the "they" and set them straight. :screaming: :banghead: My wife is quite certain that I'm not right in the head when it comes to my Astro. :dunce:

Mine has been doing daily driver duties ever since my Sebring decided to take a break. I need to replace the steering box, plus have an issue where I think I'm getting too much fuel while it is still cold. Until the engine warms up, it wants to stall and bog down and I have to play with the gas pedal to keep it running whenever I start up from a stop. Really need to get to work on the replacement engine. I'll have to bug MM to get his list on what is needed to change it over to a carb.

-Andrew

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doe_nStein,
The tool in the vid seems way better than the ones sold everywhere else that don't hold up to the task.
It's priceless in the junkyard without power or air.

But now that you're out of the yard you've got more options, unless you see yourself needing more rear doors later.
Member's have had great success quickly driving pins out with an air-chisel.
If you could borrow one that'd be the way to go, even if you had to buy the part you need that's not a chisel - great payment for the loan.
If you could use an air-chisel yourself in the future, It'd be better to put money towards that at this point.

I believe it was Hotwire who notched his plastic bumper cover (the black part on top of it) to reach the lower hinges with the air-chisel, very unnoticeable to trim a notch.

I bought the one from the guy in the video off of Ebay. Just got it in the mail today. Very quick. And damn what a piece. Seriously heavy duty. Can't wait to use it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wish I could find the "they" and set them straight. :screaming: :banghead: My wife is quite certain that I'm not right in the head when it comes to my Astro. :dunce:

Mine has been doing daily driver duties ever since my Sebring decided to take a break. I need to replace the steering box, plus have an issue where I think I'm getting too much fuel while it is still cold. Until the engine warms up, it wants to stall and bog down and I have to play with the gas pedal to keep it running whenever I start up from a stop. Really need to get to work on the replacement engine. I'll have to bug MM to get his list on what is needed to change it over to a carb.

-Andrew
I have to say I am in much the same boat as my 1980 Turbo Buick Riviera which was my daily blew a hole in the block. So the Astro is the daily. Has a huge vacuum leak as the back of the intake which I believe is where the wires for the spider goes. So the rpms bounce at idle. But seems to be getting decent MPG. Just wish the gas gauge worked. Is there a thread about swapping to a carb? I know there are intakes for the earlier engines but didn't think any would fit the Vortech heads.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I bought the one from the guy in the video off of Ebay. Just got it in the mail today. Very quick. And damn what a piece. Seriously heavy duty. Can't wait to use it.
Yep, me too. As soon as I have time I'm pulling the doors off my '02 before it goes to the wreckers.

·
Super Moderator
05 Astro AWD
14,051 Posts
Had to clean up the posts on the slider and the body so the lock would work again. It’s been a while since I last did it and, well, the lock didn’t work AT ALL. Oops.

Checked oil, coolant, trans fluid and all were good. Filled up the washer tank. Just piddly little stuff.

·
2,654 Posts
Doe nStein, that looks like what I want to get, except mine will have a couple more of runners...

I ran to a buddy's house to grab his car dolly to drag my Sebring up north, where it will probably meet its end. Going to strip off all the good parts for the "new" Sebring (basically its doppleganger, but with far less rust). I was going to use the Astro to haul it, but I haven't installed the 7-pin plug and the brake controller, so I'll grab the F-I-L's 2500 HD Sierra to do that. His tow dolly is great, far better than a U-Haul one. It's really wide, would easily fit the Astro w/o swapping space saver tires on it.

-Andrew

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
I know there are intakes for the earlier engines but didn't think any would fit the Vortech heads.
There are intakes available for both.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
16661 - 16680 of 16702 Posts