Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
16681 - 16700 of 16702 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lifted 4x4 Astro 92 V8-350 Shorty
5,308 Posts
One of several small weekend gigs with my 92 yesterday...

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Footwear Car Tire Vehicle Wheel

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

... and ONE CLASSIC OLD-SCHOOL HOT ROD VAN! lol

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a few last minute little things to my 2000 getting ready for a camping vacation trip to the mountains...

• Top off A/C charge
  • Fix exhaust
  • Reconnect cruise-control (what a pain that e-clip is)
  • Check tires & fluids (needed nothing)

Didn't need much.. as my daily driver it's always "road worthy"!
PS: The new rear KYB Monomax shocks are doing GREAT!

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
863 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Those spots are simply where the previous owner was painting things on it. And Shouldn't need to beef up the suspension. I am not sure what springs are in this thing but it's didn't seem to care I had that bumper plus a bunch of other things in the back. The ride height didn't even move.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Spotted Sunday evening on US1 in Pompano Beach... :cool:
(one is the loneliest number)

Automotive parking light Sky Car Wheel Plant

PS: I've started taking some measurements...
(some old pipes I have laying around I might put to good use)

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

I may "cheat" and run them directly off the headers (as pictured below)... or hang them properly.
I already have all the "u-turn" plumbing needed for side pipes.. but straight out at an angle could work too.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
2,654 Posts
Nice, I've thought about side pipes, but just haven't done much past that.

Well, last week I ran to a buddy's place and grabbed his tow dolly. It was time to drag the Sebring up north.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

U-Haul wouldn't let me rent one with the Astro as a tow vehicle, guess I could've fibbed about what I was dragging. But this one is really great, it's wide enough you could do a full-size vehicle on it, the Astro would easily fit w/o using space saver tires.

However, the Astro wasn't running the greatest, so instead I used my F-I-L's 2500HD Sierra to drag it. Of course, he used it to drag his Porsche from his garage to his sister's place for storage, giving us room once again to work in the garage.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

Then on Wed I putzed with the van, when I turned the valve to on for the heater core (manual valve), it was plugged with gunk. I flushed the heater core, plus the whole system, as I was planning on doing that when I swapped the motors, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It needed it for the winter. I then replaced the front factory speakers, but couldn't find any cheap 6" speakers, only 6-1/2 or 5-1/4. So I made a bracket and bought some 5-1/4 speakers.
Eye Human body Art Automotive design Font

Electronic instrument Car subwoofer Audio equipment Sound box Carbon

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Now I just need to work on a replacement radio...

I also found a vacuum hose that was loose, the one that attaches to the check valve. Anyone know of a good check valve that won't break in a few months (or less)? I've gotten some cheap ones that just don't last under the hood.

-Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found out one of my 2 inch body lift spacers fell out from vibration. Just finished motor mounts (leaving the front diff in made things tedious on the driverside to say the least) gonna cast a new spacer today and get my back rack welded up for my generator and my welder
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
407 Posts
I noticed this today. Don't remember when it happened but I guess I got a little rowdy.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Hood

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
863 Posts
Birdshake,
Wow, That is was a 2" hole. Is that all metal that is moved over the hole"? If so, you should have felt that in your teeth when it happened. I cannot imagine what you hit to fold it up like that...maybe a tall curb, at speed???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Birdshake,
Wow, That is was a 2" hole. Is that all metal that is moved over the hole"? If so, you should have felt that in your teeth when it happened. I cannot imagine what you hit to fold it up like that...maybe a tall curb, at speed???
It's warped in from the front, the hole just looks so much smaller because of the camera angle and nature of the deformation

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
407 Posts
I think I crossed a water bar going a little to fast for it a couple weeks ago. I remember feeling it hitting ground but that's not the first time that's happened. Usually just find some scrapes. I'm going to try and pull it out a bit to try and open the hole up again. I'd have to use a swivel to get at the crossmember bolt now.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
maybe a tall curb, at speed???
I did that once right outside of Miami, part of a curb fell out of a truck in front of me, hit it hard. I was glad it didn't rip a pan open or cause an accident.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Just got back from a 1,600 mile camping/riding round-trip to Cherokee NC.. and back to South Florida.
My van performed PERFECTLY! Towed the motorcycle too.

No issues at all... no oils or fluids added entire trip.
Just drove! Drove straight, quiet, & smooth trip!

Let's just call this first shot "Van Down by the River"... lol
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

Our site (shared with friends parked opposite)
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

Water Plant Property Sky Tree

Food Plant Luggage and bags Hat Kitchen appliance

Bird Plant Vertebrate Green Beak

LATE NIGHT FUN...
Plant Tree Lighting Woody plant Rectangle

Purple Chair Entertainment Window Performing arts

Rode some GREAT Smoky Mountain roads!
Here we are in Tellico Plains Tennessee...
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Highlands NC (a favorite ride spot)
Water Plant Water resources Natural landscape Nature

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
A FEW MORE....
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Table Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Plant

Our trusty rides..
Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

A favorite photo stop along the way...Nantahala Gorge NC
Plant Helmet Vehicle Automotive lighting Sky

OUR FLORIDA VANNER FRIENDS IN CHEROKEE.. (a good time was had by all)
Bonfire Fire Car Flame Campfire

Headed home... (somewhere in north GA.. lol)
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
1992 Astro - Silver / Gray / 4 Wheels
5,246 Posts
Now that is a really nice Location.
"Envy Drool Bucket" runneth over - LOL. ( if there was such a thing... right? )

Reactions: Mmusicman

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip!

Reactions: Mmusicman

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Today I finally got tired of having just the two tin cans on a string in the dash for a sound system. I had run wires to the rear speakers years ago when I first got the van, but over the course of time the wiring to the RR speaker was damaged. I ran new wire to it, almost enlarged the 6" opening to 6x9 but decided not to. I wasn't feeling it today. I tested it, it worked, then moved all the camping supplies from in front of the LR speaker, lo and behold- it still worked! I finally have something that I might be able to hear while driving.

While I had the ambition and energy, I took the glove box out and gave the doghouse a hose down with some purple power. I've seen worse, but this one really needed it. I also got around to installing the missing nut at the bottom of the doghouse, hopefully it eliminates the constant squeaking it'd been doing. Easy access came at a price.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
12,417 Posts
Today I ripped out the old ratty, playa dust-encrusted carpet from my Astro Tiger RV, getting some new vinyl flooring tomorrow to install :)
Would love to see more of your Tiger!

16681 - 16700 of 16702 Posts