Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
16721 - 16740 of 16821 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Safari AWD
114 Posts
Started trying to bring the paint back to life. 1500, 2000, then rubbing compound (by hand, I ran out of pads for my buffer).

It should look pretty decent when I get the rest of the paint polished out. I've never seen so many swirls and small scratches before.
Love the results of a good wet sanding. For those of you unsure what this can do for you, here are a couple motivational pics:

Both were in poor condition. The black one is a 2008 that had a lot of rock chips and the blue one, a 2011, had the hood repainted with really bad orange peel and a lot of rock chips.

As a comparison for the work, Maximan started with 1500 whereas I went down to 600 in some areas. If you have never seen this kind of work, don't be afraid to give it a try, it all polishes back! (Just don't sand the paint too thin)

Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Light Hood World Urban design Automotive design

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,284 Posts
Today, I retrieved my van from a local shop, after having a Torsen limited slip differential assembly installed. It is a luxury project, planned from over a year ago, that I was not particularly comfortable tackling myself. That job included replacing the pinion bearings and seal, and is a job that can entail a lot of labor ( trips under the van and back out), to set the shims correctly. It is particularly difficult and time consuming if being done by an old guy on a creeper, with the van on jack stands.
While in the shop, the front diff axle seals were replaced. That exposed a bad support bearing on the DS stub axle and a badly worn bearing surface ( obviously chewed up), There was also a known torn boot on that axle.
New seals, new axles and a new needle bearing finished the job while depleting my mad money stash, but it was worth it to have it done. I can use the time saved, to complete tasks that I will enjoy much more,and have much more confidence in finishing correctly..
Thanks to Copperfiremist for the work done, and the other items he brought to my attention. Some were already planned and that I can do myself.
Now I can happily wait for snow and mud, to try out the new LS diff.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

Reactions: Mmusicman

·
Registered
90 Posts
NoQuarter, those came out incredible. I did not go any more aggressive with the grit because I don't have a paint depth gauge, I see evidence of prior paint work on some spots of the van, and I am a rank amateur in paint correction. The stuff I have done has turned out alright, but I have had instances where I cut down through the paint.

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
521 Posts
I had a pretty good haul and the U pull place today.
Plant Couch Outdoor sofa Rectangle Outdoor furniture

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky
Cloud Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

I met up with an old friend and had a couple beers..been a long time since I cruised with Frank and the Silver Fox

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yesterday I went out and got a hitch from my local junkyard, and installed it on the mule. It's a nice 6000 lb capacity hitch receiver, now I can install my tri ball and hook.

Road surface Wood Rectangle Asphalt Font
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Also, one my friends recently started making custom rugs so I had an Astro rug made. Came out pretty great, still not sure where it's going to go.

Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,947 Posts
That Astro rug is awesome, what does something like that run? I mean, now that I have seen it, I must have one :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
That Astro rug is awesome, what does something like that run? I mean, now that I have seen it, I must have one :)
I paid him $60 for mine with no rush to complete it. He can make them up to 4 feet wide, I opted to have mine 3 feet wide, which made it about 6" tall.

He is on Instagram at @the_tuft_guy or Login • Instagram

I can talk to him if you don't have an Instagram.

·
Administrator
Common Sense + Critical Thinking
13,947 Posts
Thanks, that is super cool, I don't have insta, I stay about as far away from anything related to FB as possible.

Is there a limit to how tall he can do?

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
521 Posts
I found this today.
Guess I know what I’m doing this weekend.
Eye Fluid Eyelash Gesture Grey

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
1,284 Posts
OK, I'll bite!
Is this '20 questions'?

I give up. What melted into the snow? I cannot seem to get any scale as to the size, and do not recognize the shape.
Rod J

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
521 Posts
Finished replacing the lower intake manifold gasket. Cleaned all the oil out of the cooling system. That took longer than I liked. Ran like a top and then all of a sudden dead on the side of the road. Something must have come loose.

·
Registered
2005 Astro Cargo 4WD
521 Posts
Ran like a top and then all of a sudden dead on the side of the road. Something must have come loose.
Yep so driving home the motor stalled and I pulled over to the side of the road. Wouldn't restart. Wouldn't turn over at all then when pressing gas pedal it would crank a few times and then nothing.
Got it towed back to the shop I was working in and left it for the night.

Came back the next morning and it fired right up without touching anything. I checked all the connections and grounds and all were good. Tried shaking the wire harness while running and nothing happened.

I looked up diagnosing procedures in the techline and started with the CMP sensor. Motor started and ran with it unplugged. I checked the wiring to the PCM and it was good. I replaced the CMP with a new one and it ended up doing the same thing.

So not sure what caused the stall or the no start but it seems like it sorted itself out.

·
Super Moderator
7,047 Posts
Today I finally replaced the neutral/reverse switch on the bottom of the column. It really wasn't a bad job at all. It didn't fix my problem like I thought it would, but it wasn't a bad job. Mark the old one with a sharpie, pop it off with a screwdriver, swap plugs, reinstall. It works in reverse like it should, but the reverse lights also come on with the parking lights. I've looked at the wiring diagrams trying to find where the systems meet, no luck. I'll probably tear into the tail light wiring this weekend. Nothing has changed except the trailer plug, and that was a wire for wire swap from an old receptacle to an identical new one. I'll look for a mis-wired pin, but I don't remember tying in to the reverse lights for a 6 pin socket. If it's not there I'll look to the tail light wiring, maybe something shorted or rubbed raw somewhere. (anybody seen reverse lights come one with the parking lights before?)

16721 - 16740 of 16821 Posts