Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
16721 - 16726 of 16726 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Safari AWD
71 Posts
Started trying to bring the paint back to life. 1500, 2000, then rubbing compound (by hand, I ran out of pads for my buffer).

It should look pretty decent when I get the rest of the paint polished out. I've never seen so many swirls and small scratches before.
Love the results of a good wet sanding. For those of you unsure what this can do for you, here are a couple motivational pics:

Both were in poor condition. The black one is a 2008 that had a lot of rock chips and the blue one, a 2011, had the hood repainted with really bad orange peel and a lot of rock chips.

As a comparison for the work, Maximan started with 1500 whereas I went down to 600 in some areas. If you have never seen this kind of work, don't be afraid to give it a try, it all polishes back! (Just don't sand the paint too thin)

Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Light Hood World Urban design Automotive design

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1998 LS AWD Forest Green metallic
972 Posts
Today, I retrieved my van from a local shop, after having a Torsen limited slip differential assembly installed. It is a luxury project, planned from over a year ago, that I was not particularly comfortable tackling myself. That job included replacing the pinion bearings and seal, and is a job that can entail a lot of labor ( trips under the van and back out), to set the shims correctly. It is particularly difficult and time consuming if being done by an old guy on a creeper, with the van on jack stands.
While in the shop, the front diff axle seals were replaced. That exposed a bad support bearing on the DS stub axle and a badly worn bearing surface ( obviously chewed up), There was also a known torn boot on that axle.
New seals, new axles and a new needle bearing finished the job while depleting my mad money stash, but it was worth it to have it done. I can use the time saved, to complete tasks that I will enjoy much more,and have much more confidence in finishing correctly..
Thanks to Copperfiremist for the work done, and the other items he brought to my attention. Some were already planned and that I can do myself.
Now I can happily wait for snow and mud, to try out the new LS diff.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

·
Registered
50 Posts
NoQuarter, those came out incredible. I did not go any more aggressive with the grit because I don't have a paint depth gauge, I see evidence of prior paint work on some spots of the van, and I am a rank amateur in paint correction. The stuff I have done has turned out alright, but I have had instances where I cut down through the paint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky
Cloud Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

I met up with an old friend and had a couple beers..been a long time since I cruised with Frank and the Silver Fox

16721 - 16726 of 16726 Posts